GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 04 avalanche with bizzar problem please help

whats up my names Tim

I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche with 108K miles in good condition regulary maintained
    about 4 months ago i was driving home from work when my check engine light came on and my dash computer read "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" and it would only allow me to drive about 15 to 20 mph so i hit my hazards and pulled over turned the truck off and waited a few min. when I started the car again my check engine light was still on but i could drive normally.

I took it to my local dealer they did a diagnostic and the DTC came up P0120, P0220, when the car is running and codes p1515 and P2135. they said it was a throttle body even though my throtle body and wiring harness looked ok. so the replaced my throttle boddy and form what i can tell the cut and spliced the wiring harness conector to new wires and wrapped everything in electrical tape.

it ran fine for about two weeks then the problem happened again so i took it back and they told me it could be a number of things and after about 2 months of trying little things they now think it was my affter market auto start i had installed.

i went to get a secound opinon from a diffrent mechanic and he found that " ENGINE RUNS ROUGH, AND STALLS, CODES P0120, P0220, P1515 and P2135 SHOW UP WHEN CONDITION OCCURS, FOUND TSB FOR CONDITION AND DTC, BUT APPEARS REPAIRS WERE ALREADY PERFORMED, RECOMMEND TAKE VEH. BACK TO ORIGINAL SHOP FOR RE-CHECK.

so thats where im at so my questions are...

Is or has anyone out there been having this same problem?

Can a improperly installed / defective auto-start cause these issues ?

is the way the repaired my wiring harness unusual or normal?

anyone have any ideas ?

please let me know if you have any comments or need more information
    thanks

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Tim, welcome to the GM truck club. I can't help you with your running problem but if you'll post it in the tech or tune forum more people will see it & maybe be able to help you.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

Sounds like a hack job by the dealer was the first thing. There is no reason that on a modern day vehicle, that you should "cut and splice" a new ANYTHING, ANYWHERE on a vehicle. Everything was made to be plug and play for this very reason "NO GUESS WORK INVOLVED", The remote start could give some issues if it was improperly put in but I would think that if it did it wouldnt start period as the remote starter would not be talking to the computer correctly. I would take your truck to another dealership and have them look at what you call the "cut and splice" job they did. Any dealership that screwed something up will always look at something that wasnt factory installed on the truck and tell you its your problem.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16