GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I hit a deer at 50 mph

So this winter I was humming along at about 50 on a back road when a deer jumped in front of my truck .

I went right over him, and he went into the ditch. I stopped and looked at my truck (with 6000 miles on it) and sighed.

That little jerk dented my bumper.

Also that's deer number 5 in a Chevy pickup for me
    "Silly Honda. My lug nuts take more torque than your car makes."

Hit a deer at 50, and no serious damage? That's what I call luck! Out here, we have to watch for deer, elk and cows. Deer and elk suck, 'cause you have to pay for the damage, but cows REALLY suck! Not only do you have to pay for vehicle damage (unless insurance covers it), but you have to pay for the cow too! About $500. That's straight out of your pocket, too. Insurance won't cover that...
    Jess

1991 Suburban

Poor deer.

me + pickup truck = deer magnet for some reason

with all 5 that I have hit I never had any major damage

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have hit 4 deer in a 2 week period. 3 with my chevy and 1 with my nissan maxima.. The one that hit my maxima totaled it, and the 3 that i hit with the chevy one took a 2in chunk out of the grill, and the others didnt do anything. The one that took out the chunk i hit around 50, and the rest were slow since the roads were icy and my speedo had quit on me. So i know the feeling.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Ive never hit a deer *knocks on wood* of course if I did it could be fatal, being on a motorcycle and all..I've had some close calls but those deer whistles seem to work wonders, I've got a set on my Alero and when I get around 100ft of a deer they turn and run away..
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

One time I was riding with an ex girlfriend. She hit deer all the time and drove like a maniac. While she was complaining about her car looking horrible because of all the deer she hit, I told her to slow down (as a deer ran out in front of us and we plowed it).

In hind-sight..... it was her driving.

I've only hit one deer, and luckily, it was in a FORD! I was driving an econoline on my old delivery route on a 2-lane highway, and immediately after an oncoming tractor-trailer passed me, about 8 or 10 deer were suddenly crossing the road. I never saw them coming. How I managed to hit only one, I'll never know. Broke the neck of a big doe clean, no blood. Busted up the driver's side headlight and fender. State Trooper came by and (jokingly) told me it wasn't deer season!

In hind-sight..... it was her driving.
    My ex-wife, now that's a funny story. Before we were even dating, she managed to take out a whole herd with her ex-boyfriend's Toyota Tercel while fighting with him in the car. They are both pretty lucky to come away from that one. Talk about distracted drivers!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

haha. I still laugh every time I think of that moment. It was such perfect timing.
    [/SIGPIC]James :great:

Yeah, you folks need to invest the $10 it takes to buy those little deer whistles. We always had them on our vehicles growing up in rural west Texas and we never had any problems with the copious amounts of deer and antelope. I haven't yet put them on my Silverado but fortunately I haven't had any problems. A few close calls though. I've definitely seen deer total a few cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by