GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default subwoofer problems

I had my sub stolen the other day. It was a 12 inch Infinity thant was in a box that fit well between the console and the back seat. Since I have to replace it, I am going to try and install under the console, forward of the trunk thing (under the tray). I think it will work and I and planning to have the space under there act as the enclosure.

Any advice or opinions?

Here is a pic of my setup (before the sub was stolen):

Frank in Austin

Jr. Mechanic

what kind of vehicle is it?

Jr. Mechanic

ok so what you want to do is use the space between the back seat and the console and you want that to be your enclosure correct? sounds to me like it'll work

No-- I want to use the inside of the console as the enclosure. I went to one of the high end audio stores here in Austin and there is a "box" that fits between the carpeted tranmission tunnel and the console, and you can't see it's there. It's built to follow the contours of the underside of the console, but it costs 575.00.

So, I thought I could let the floor of the truck be the bottom of my enclosure and the underside of the console be the top of the enclosure, and it would work well.

Does that sound crazy?

TIA
    Frank

Jr. Mechanic

more expensive then crazy very good idea though.... i say if you have the money go for it...

Great idea but I don't think that you will get the enclosure to seal. that is the first problem then you have the material the console is made of I don't think that it is rigid enough. I think you will have alot of flex in the box which could cause your sub to blow. Those are my thoughts I'm not pro box maker or installer but I have been around it for a long time. You might run the idea by a custom shop and see what they say. Personally I wouldn't go with anything other than 3/4 inch MDF to build a box.

That is good advice. I'm no expert on subs, but I have an Infinity 314 Watt VERY CLEAN amp pushing what will be at most a single 12 inch sub driver, so it will have a lot of power behind it.

I didn't think about the flex issue. I guess I can build an MDF box to fit in there, but it will be complex, and will reduce the sonic area available. Is anyone aware of a box that will fit there that is more reasonably priced?

is your amp a mono block? cause if not I would recomend goin with a couple 10"s, I am running 4 8"s Rockford Fosgates fit all 4 nicely under my back seat and it looks like you got a quad cab right so you should be able to fit 2 10"s under the seat with no problems

Well maybe I could if I didnt have 2 amps and a hi lo converter under there (see 1st pic). I went ahead and bought an Alpine 12 inch sub and I'm going to put it behind the console just like before.

Thanks for all the advice!
    frank

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by