GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default It’s Not a Chevy, It’s Not a Ford… (lots of big pictures)

Its a DEUCE!!! Or more specifically, a 1971 Kaiser M35A2 2 and a half ton truck, commonly called a deuce and a half. Today I took delivery on this beast of a truck, and I couldnt be happier. I hinted that I was going to have a big announcement, and this is it.

Lemme tell ya, this is a lot more than your daddys pickup. This thing is BIG. It measures about 23 feet long, 9 feet tall, and weighs 13,000 pounds EMPTY. It has an 8x12 foot bed with a 10,000 pound payload capacity. 40x9 inch tires on 20 inch split rims. The engines a multifuel engine that runs primarily on diesel, but can run on virtually anything that burns except jet fuel. Thats backed up by a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2 speed transfer case. Forget 4x4, I have 6x6! Paints in pretty good condition, but theres also a good bit of rust in certain spots. Engine seems to be in good working condition.

Driving it is a blast. I havent driven a manual transmission on the open road before, but I had no trouble driving it. The shift pattern on the transmission is weird. Its a standard truck pattern where reverse is in the upper left hole, but 4th and 5th are opposite of where they should be. Top speed on its right around 48-49mph. I was expecting to get 55mph out of it, but I get too close to the top RPM limit trying to get there. The manual steering is also something that makes driving it slightly more difficult, but steering is easy when using both hands. Its a loud truck because it doesnt have any mufflers or catalytic converters, but manageable . You can talk with someone else in the cab with a low yell.

Heres some pictures of it:

Some soldier did a field mod and doubled the height of the exhaust stack, probably to get the noise and smell more away from the cab:
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Awesome...I love it! I saw one of these for sale in Metairie last year. It was in great shape, and I tried to talk my dad into going in on it with me, but...
    Hope to see you driving around town one day!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Legend
    Blog Entries

That looks like it's in pretty good shape. For rust, just paint over it, that's the military way lol...

How do you go about licenseing it for the road? Are any mods required to do this?
    Last edited by stephan; 01-30-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Great truck. What are your plans for it?

i love the deuce and a half's!! it made me sad that the army got rid of them for the LMTV's.
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

Ahhh... the good ol' days. I gotta a little chill seeing that. Have fun with it!

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Sr. Apprentice

Why? What for?

I have that same exact truck! No cab thought and we made a custom black diamond plate flat bed for it. I'll have to get some pics up! We use it to haul grain wagons on the farm. It'll roll some coal

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

the guys on extreme 4x4 bobbed one of those it really came out nice

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by