GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What car would you use for a 24 hour endurance race?

Last night I watched an episode of top gear where they entered into a 24 hour Le Mans style race with an 04 BMW 330d, bought for 11k ( about 17k USD) and built in just 10 days at the Top Gear shop. It was a great episode and the car performed well considering what it was up against ( Aston Martins, Viper, Corvette etc.) and also considering that they crashed once, blew the turbo, fuel pump and clutch, amongst other things lol. So here is my question to y'all: What car would you buy for 17k or less (before mods) for use in a 24-hour endurance race and why?
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Alfa Romeo 159 .. I own a 156, clean fast machines. With a little work they can push 180mph. Yes, thats with a v6. Italians do make some nice cars my friends. Though, I would love to be an owner of a corvette if I could only afford one

i did a 10 hour race n my cobra when i had the supercharger ported,i heat soaked it pretty good, needless to say i HAD to put a kenne bell on it and run all new cooling system for the engine,trans and rear end since the IRS likes to heat up. my buddy has a nice little private track on his farm we did a good 12 hours of driving and not once did i get to hot, not to mention just got all new baer brakes, delirum bushing and built a custom roll cage cuz the 6 point scared me. i got the car for 10,000 with 32,000 miles and a electrical problem, bout a whole new harness and it was fixed
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I think I'd go with a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300SDL Turbo Diesel. I don't have too much longevity experience with various cars but this one earns quite a lot of respect with me. My grandmother has had hers since the day she drove it off the show room. It has been driven from Texas to Alaska (and back) two different times and it still drives like a dream. It's built like a tank and although the start off is a little slow, after about 2nd gear, that thing flies! Given the 17k cost limit, I'd stay way under budget with this car.

Again, that's based on my limited experience with endurance tested vehicles.

I'd have to go with an around 2000 corvette with an ls1 motor. With minor suspension and a turbo that ls1 motor can run 800hp all day.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's possible to buy a winner for $17,000 Telorvehc, but if I could get a beat up GT-40 for $17K , & you put no dollar limit on mods, I'd go with that.....
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Come on guy's only one chevy????? Older vets , camaros ??? Would love to get the chance to do a 24 ....

I would take an 01 dmax. Then do what Dmitri Millard did.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    I don't think it's possible to buy a winner for $17,000 Telorvehc, but if I could get a beat up GT-40 for $17K , & you put no dollar limit on mods, I'd go with that.....
    Haha, I should have been more specific about the mods, not sure how much the budget was on Top Gear but certainly not very high. The guys on Top Gear obviously didn't win but they came in 3rd in their class and finished in a decent place. Here is the clip from the episode------>http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/24

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    Haha, I should have been more specific about the mods, not sure how much the budget was on Top Gear but certainly not very high.
    So when can you send me my $200K check for my mods??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by