GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Heated mirrors on 2002 Silverado 1500 Z71

I wrecked 99 Sierra so I bought this 2002 Silverado but I can't get the heated mirrors to work.

The local dealer says I need the heated seats on AND the rear defroster on to get the mirrors to defrost. Does anyone else agree with this? Since he told me we havn't had a frosty morning but, as it's only Feb 1, I expect we will.

If his solution doesn't work, does anyone know if they ae on a seperate fuse or how to fix them.

Thanks a lot for any advise given.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by 1999Sierra View Post
    I wrecked 99 Sierra so I bought this 2002 Silverado but I can't get the heated mirrors to work.

The local dealer says I need the heated seats on AND the rear defroster on to get the mirrors to defrost. Does anyone else agree with this? Since he told me we havn't had a frosty morning but, as it's only Feb 1, I expect we will.

If his solution doesn't work, does anyone know if they ae on a seperate fuse or how to fix them.

Thanks a lot for any advise given.

Stephen

To have Working Heated Side Mirror's......you Only Need to have the Rear Window Defroster on your HVAC Controls.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    To have Working Heated Side Mirror's......you Only Need to have the Rear Window Defroster on your HVAC Controls.
    Thanks. That's how it worked on my 99 Sierra but when I asked the local GMC dealer he said I needed the rear window defroster AND the heated seats. What do they know?

Now, what do I need to do to get the mirrors to defrost?

Just by chance is there a separate fuse from the rear defrost.
    I'm sure you have already checked them just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by vette81ttop View Post
    Just by chance is there a separate fuse from the rear defrost.
    I'm sure you have already checked them just asking.
    The rear defroster works fine and, yes, I did check for a fuse devoted to the mirrors but did not find one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe they're there, but not hooked up. You know how the factory can get these days...:-\

Have had this same problem on my 2002 silverado,the heat work great for a awhile then I noticed they weren't working and reported it while still under warranty. They said they were fixed and of course I didn't use till the next winter when I had no warranty, they haven't worked for a few years now. Cant find anyone who can tell me how to fix them.... I have the rear defrost and the heated seats, and for me that has made no differance.... Any help would be great
    Steve

Default Heated mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by stevel841 View Post
    Have had this same problem on my 2002 silverado,the heat work great for a awhile then I noticed they weren't working and reported it while still under warranty. They said they were fixed and of course I didn't use till the next winter when I had no warranty, they haven't worked for a few years now. Cant find anyone who can tell me how to fix them.... I have the rear defrost and the heated seats, and for me that has made no differance.... Any help would be great
    Steve
    I ended up buying two new heated mirrors and installing them myself - took about an hour all told. Since then they've worked fine. I had a look at the old pair with the idea that I could figure out what was wrong but I couldn't get into them. I bought mine on Ebay. Good luck.

Stephen