GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1998 Chevy K1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 have a roar coming from the front need help

Hey Guys I got a 1998 K1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny and 156,000 miles on it. I'm hearing a noise from up front it sounds like and its like a roar and gets louder as I increase my speed. I've checked and replaced the Diff. oils, checked to see it it was staying in 4wd and everything checks out fine with that all thats working and I feel no slack in nothing and I just can't trace the problem. I know the tires on it will roar alittle and its not that It was doing it with radials on it, and the truck is getting bad gas mileage if anybody has some helpful suggestions I would like to hear them please. Thanks for any help

I would check the wheel bearings.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend
    Blog Entries

Does your roaring noise follow engine RPMs or vehicle speed?? You said it increases with speed, but your RPMs also increase with speed. Can you hear this noise if you're sitting in neutral & rev your engine up to 3,000 RPMs??
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

No it only follows the speed not the rpms, I was thinking on it and I could only come up with Wheel Bearings or hopefully not but maybe the Whole Hub assemblys the noise seems to be more on the passenger side front and what would be the best way to check them both I know my way around motors and minor and to alittle extent of other things of this nature I am lost everything I know has been mostly self taught from trial and error and haven't encountered this problem Yet
    Last edited by chevyman882001; 02-02-2011 at 03:00 PM.

If it's not a wheel bearing, it could certainly be a c/v joint linking the passenger wheel to the transfer case... Happened to me in my '94 K1500 long ago.

Tests I've seen mentioned for wheel bearings is to jack up the suspect wheel and rotate the wheel by hand. you can sometimes feel the "roughness" in the bearings. It might be easier to feel with the tire and brake caliper removed.

I checked the wheel bearings and hub and everything checked out good but turning the cv axle sounds like there was alittle rubbing or grinding so I suspecting that, how much would that run me at a parts store and how difficult is it to put in? And thanks so far for all the info really helping me trouble shoot the problem.

Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States

I would say anywhere from $50-$80 and replacing them is very easy.

======​SOLD=====
    2006 1500 4x4 extended cab short bed
    SAS 12" suspension lift
    38x15.50 Mickey Thompson ATZ
    20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II
    FOA custom shocks
    Dana 44HD front axle
    14 Bolt SF w/ detroit locker
    yukon 5.13 gears
    Dynatech Long tube headers
    Dynatech y pipe w/ high flow cats
    Magnaflow muffler
    Tom woods custom dual cv rear driveshaft
    K&N AIRAID system
    Hypertech power programmer
    And much more...........

Ok while I was turning the CV Joint it sounded like some rubbing or grinding alittle It was alittle rough turning so I think it is the CV joint so I'm gonna replace it this weekend if it quits raining or hopefully doesn't ice or snow either. Thanks for the info I will keep ya'll posted on the results.

Well I got to the driver side CV and the boot was busted on it so it got replaced, but Thats not were the noise is coming from It sounded like the front but with help from my brother-in-law we found out it was the tranny cause i can take it out of gear and let the clutch out and let it roll in neutral the noise goes away Im hoping it just needs more fluid cause it still shifts and operates like it brand new haven't checked yet cause my rear u-joint came out and I was so ill Im waiting till in the morning so we'll see I hope its not getting ready to come out cause it sure don't act and feel like it, will keep ya'll posted on the results after tomorrow.