GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Upgrade To New Struts With Ccm Level, plz help!

Hey all,

I have an '08 NNBS Silv which currently has the CCM 2.5'' lvl kit and 33'' tires (285-70-17)

I have been very happy with the set-up and height so far. After having put almost 25,000 miles on my truck while running this set-up, I am considering upgrading my front end suspension set-up. I am happy with the current height (2.5'' lift), but was wondering what my options were as far as potentially improving my front end suspension performance.

Some of the options I am considering are:

-Upgrading to bilstein shocks?
    -Replacing the strut towers themselves?

I am very open to suggestions and would appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thanks

Mike
    08 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L V8 Granite Blue

If you are going to replace the front shock/strut with a adjustable type you can not go any higher with the lift because the shock/strut will hit the upper control arm. If you look at ReadyLifts 4" kit they include a new upper control arm to clear the shock/strut. If you add the Bilstein adjustable shock and adjust to the stock length than you should be fine.

Ok thanks for reply,

So you basically have to get a full lift-kit (4''+) if you want to go higher than 2.5'' with a leveling kit?

You definately don't want to go any higher than where your're at. If you get bilsteins, set them at zero or just get direct replacements that aren't adjustable.

Yeah, Bilstein has several different product lines that are not made specifically for leveling. Check out something other than the 5100s.

I have read that leveling kits can lead to the pre-mature death of your ball-joints. Like I said I have over 40,000 miles on my truck now, and have had the kit for two years+.

Was just wondering, are there any signs to look for to know if ball joints are going to be going out soon?
    Also, @ how many miles is it suggested that you replace the stock shocks on NNBS? Any other suspension components?

Thanks

I would change the stock shocks at 30,000 miles. They go bad slowly so you don't notice until you put the new shocks on. I have over 86,000 miles on my 6" lifted '05 Z-71 and it still has the factory balljoints. Just keep them GREASED. I grease mine every 3,000-4,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracer455 View Post
    I have read that leveling kits can lead to the pre-mature death of your ball-joints. Like I said I have over 40,000 miles on my truck now, and have had the kit for two years+.

Was just wondering, are there any signs to look for to know if ball joints are going to be going out soon?
    Also, @ how many miles is it suggested that you replace the stock shocks on NNBS? Any other suspension components?

Thanks
    I highly recommend the 5100 bilsteins. Just put them on my truck and they're great (but pricey). checking for ball joint play is easy. On one side place a jack under the lower control arm and lift until the tire is about an inch or so off the ground. take and slide a pry bar under the tire from the front (longer is better) push down on the handle of the prybar (so the tire will go up) and note if there is any movement at either one of the ball joints. In a good set of ball joints there will be none to barely any movement. With a bad ball joint you will see a more pronounced amount of movement between the control arm and knuckle. Also you can, with the tire in the same position grab the tire at 12 and 6 and do a push/pull movement to see if there is any movement.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member