GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default i need help picking a lift

ok i am looking at putting new wheels and tires on my 2002 silverado 1500 Z71. and the tires i am looking at are the bf goodrich all-terrain LT285/55r20. i was wondering if i should do a suspension lift or a body lift. what should i do and how hig should i go with the lift so i can have the tire clear with no problems. any help is great.

da chief
    EATS RAM CRAPS FORD!!!
    2002 Chevy Silverado K1500
    Just over 150k miles
    One tough truck has gone through alot in the last 3 months:glasses:

I think you'll be able to clear those tires with just a leveling kit. But if you are set on a lift kit, either a body lift or suspension lift will work. Just know that a body lift only raises the body of the truck allowing for the use of bigger tires, but a suspension lift will give you more ground clearance overall along with the use of bigger tires.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

X2 on the leveling kit for the 285's. I think ReadyLift and OffRoadUnlimited have the best leveling kits for 2002's. ORU has a longer Bilstein front shock and Readylift gives you a shock extension. Also Skyjacker makes a 3" Suspension lift for your truck that is easy to install, its easier than a body lift because you don't have to drop the front diff. out.

Here is my 2005 when it had a leveling kit with 285's on it. The setup went great. Went with a truxxx kit.

here it is.

Last edited by bacol14; 02-02-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    2005 Silverado
    6 inch fabtech suspension lift
    17 inch Cragar Soft 8's with 4.5 inch backspace
    35 inch BFG All terrains
    2500 leaf springs in the back

Leveling Kit. Should clear them fine.

Oh, what side of GB are you from? I live on the west side

1995 Chevy Tahoe

bacol14, your truck looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    X2 on the leveling kit for the 285's. I think ReadyLift and OffRoadUnlimited have the best leveling kits for 2002's. ORU has a longer Bilstein front shock and Readylift gives you a shock extension. Also Skyjacker makes a 3" Suspension lift for your truck that is easy to install, its easier than a body lift because you don't have to drop the front diff. out.
    thanks i dont really want to deal with the torsion keys sounds like it would be a real big pain and i dont have much for lifting my truck to releave the preasure on them. body lift isnt quite my thing unless you know of one that wont allow others to see straight threw to the other side.

bacol14
    very nice truck exactly the look i want with out being to tall because i dont have a steps on it yet

racekid
    i live in ashwaubenon not to far from lambeau field

Quote Originally Posted by alb9110 View Post
    thanks i dont really want to deal with the torsion keys sounds like it would be a real big pain and i dont have much for lifting my truck to releave the preasure on them. body lift isnt quite my thing unless you know of one that wont allow others to see straight threw to the other side.
    I think those are your only options... and aside from getting your truck alligned after the install the keys are super easy to install, you just need a set of bigger jackstands. Also I should mention that I used an add-a-leaf in addition to a 3 inch block in the back so I got another inch and it wouldn't sag when the bed was loaded up. Leveling nice but I like a little rake on my truck.
    Last edited by bacol14; 02-03-2011 at 06:10 AM.