GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GCWR, Payload, and towing capacity...

I understand the basics, but want some more information for a possible tow I may be making.

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 Z71 Extended cab.

the listed GVWR is 6400 lbs.
    curb weight around 4900 lbs.
    payload is listed at 1468 lbs.
    towing capacity is 8800 lbs.

My hitch is rated at 6000 lbs, the slide in frame mounted receiver is rated at 5000 lbs.

I'm looking to make a combined tow and bed cargo trip.

The tow load is a small car, no engine or transmission. Curb weight is around 2100 lbs without those two items. Trailer is around 900 lbs, so combined tow is 3000 lbs. Trailer is a dual axle low boy. So if I'm careful, I should be able to get the tongue weight to less than 500 lbs.

If so, from what I recall, I have to subtract that tongue weight from the payload, which reduces my bed capacity to around 1000 lbs, is that correct?

So, if that's the cast, my combine vehicle weight is around 9000 lbs with a 1000 lb payload in the bed. The listed GCWR is 14000 lbs.

Basically, it possible I need to haul around 1500 lbs of payload in addition to the trailer. It's a 400 mile haul, 99% highways. But if my memory of the allowable loadings is correct, I can't do that. Is that right?

Just trying to avoid making two trips, but not seeing a way around it.

Sr. Apprentice

If I was going to do this, I would move as much weight to the trailer as possible. Load the car up, slide heavy items under & beside the car. Let the trailer take as much weight as possible. Assuming the trailer is rated for it, the trailer has brakes & you have a brake controller in your truck. Be sure you have enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from fishtailing.

You should'nt have any overheating problems this time of year, if your truck cooling system is ok.

For more on specific towing ratings, google, trailer life towing guide.

Hope this helps, good luck on your trip.
    Last edited by Taddpole; 02-03-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Well nobody said you can't do that. As long as your truck isn't squatting too much and your the nose isn't pointed to the sky and if you have decent weight on the front tires you should be good. IMO.

Tounge weight should be 10-15 % of total GTWR, so 3000 .. about 300-450 tongue weight would be ideal. If you can load your trailer properly and fully that would be your best bet. Utilize the trailer as much as possible (without going over its limits) Have a weight distribution of 60/40 on the trailer with adequate tounge weight and you should be good.

A tanden axle trailer will carry quite a bit of weight on its own.

Good point about loading the trailer round the axles to put more weight on teh trailer while keeping tongue weight around 400#. Problem with the trailer that I have free access to is that it does not have brakes, so technically it is limited to 3000 lbs if I recall correctly.

Luckily the weight I would be putting in the bed consists of 3 engines and 3 transmissions, all of which can be located in front of the rear axle (inline 6's) so I can keep some weight on the front. Each engine is around 350# (long blocks), transmissions around 80-100#.

I may just call my local rental place and get a higher rated trailer with brakes. Since I could pick up and drop off at the same place, I can deadhead out to pick up the car and engines, bring the car and stuff back and pay only about $20/day or about $60 total. Better than doing a one way rental from Uhaul, which would run about $250 for the the 400 mile one way trip. Doubt towing an empty trailer will cost me an extra $150 in 400 miles.

Currently this truck does not have a brake monitor, but most rental trailers these days use surge brakes right? So is a monitor really helpful?

Legend
    Blog Entries

3 engines @ 350lbs each & 3 transmissions @80-100lbs each will exceede your remaining bed payload (after tongue weight has been subtracted) so if you can't put some of them on the trailer near the axels like others have suggested, how about putting the transmissions "inside" the car... If the trunk is empty you could put one or two there, & if the seats are out put the 3rd one inside?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol