GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Can I tow my 29' RV GCVWR at 9000 lbs?

Ok guys I really need your help on this one...I towed my camper last summer with an F150 XLT 5.4 V8 with 3.55 gears. It struggled...

I want toget back into a GMC truck and I love the Seirra 1500's. I just don't know which model to look at. can the 5.3 handle it? My total weight would be around 9000 Max (truck-camper-wood-passengers) I also have a brake controller and Sway/Tow bars.

What is your thoughts?? I've tried this truck out and it is AWSOME!!!! just need to hear from the experts.

Thanks
    Rich

For a 9000 pound camper, you really need to completely skip over the 1500/half-ton trucks entirely. Start at the 2500/ 3/4 ton trucks. 9000 pounds is just a tad too heavy for a half-ton to haul safely. Pretty much any 3/4 ton should be able to handle that trailer with little issue.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I think he is talking about 9000 # incl the truck ??? so that would be ~ 6000 # towing.....if that is the case then i say yes..but not if like said above.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Sr. Apprentice

Google, trailer life towing guide, for man/model tow ratings. Make sure the truck has the towing package and not just the receiver bolted onto the back of the truck. I've had trucks with 3:73 ratios & they worked well for me. 3/4 ton trucks are better for towing and the brakes are larger. If you ever want to move up to a heavier trailer you will be able to do so without buying another truck.
    Last edited by Taddpole; 02-03-2011 at 02:07 PM.

GVCWR = Gross Vehicle Combination Weight Rating

First off it struggled because it was a ford

Anyways I don't see a problem with the 5.3 pulling the trailer, but if you have the extra cash the 6.0 will defiantly handle it with ease. I would make sure you have the HD Towing Package though, not completely necessary but would be a plus.

Is this a fifth wheel or ball setup ?

Maybe a shorter rear end will help.