GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: blower motor

Default blower motor

Hi I have a 01 1500. The blower motor runs on HIGH no matter what level is selected,even off. And it still runs when the ignition is off and the key is removed. Nothing has ever been modified, its all 100% stock. Any ideas? Thanks

Most likely the problem is the blower motor resistor has gone bad. Its a common issue on these trucks.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Here is a how-to video

Maybe a tune could help.

I had a problem where the blower motor stopped working with 3 settings on my climate control switch. I thought it had something to do with the climate control switch itself and when I took it to the dealership I found out it was a melted blower motor resistor harness. They told me it was going to cost close to $100 for the part, so I went shopping on my own and found a harness that was $33. It was way better than the one the dealership mechanic showed me, which only had black and white wires and seemingly one gauge size. The harness I found matched the one in my 02 Silverado, both wire color and gauge size and now my heat and a/c work perfect. I found the harness at http://www.buywiring.com/7-wire_blow...co_pt2195.html This is the one to get for sure.

If the resistor is bad, I was told by the dealership that it is likely the connector on the blower motor resistor harness will be damaged as well. My repair was exactly like the video jreagan posted. I recently replaced the resistor and found that there are a ton of junk knock offs. The one in the video is the best one and you'll know because it will say "Slovenia" on the green ceramic coating. I got mine from the Chevy dealer in my town.

Tell us what you end up doing!!!

Common problem across many GM Models, especially on early 2000's. Like said its usually just the resistor that went bad.

It was the blower motor resistor. Thanks for all the help.