GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Plates?

Default Plates?

i was just wondering what the reason for everyone removing there plates or blacking them out in pictures was?? i just uploaded a few pics and i got freaked out and went back and deleted them after noticing that.. just curious

I would think just for confidentiality reasons. Some cunning lowlife with connections could maybe run your plate number and get your name & address and who knows what else. You can never be too safe these days when it comes to identity theft. I did it just to be on the safe side. I wish someone would steal my identity so they could take over my student loan payments!! Too bad it doesn't work that way.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Legend
    Blog Entries

X2 on Sals post. Too many identity thieves in the world today.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I scratch mine out of my pics... I'm not worried about you folks... guess I'm just paranoid... wait, that's not a guess...yup...I'm paranoid.
    Jay

2003 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit and Stabilizer
    285/65R18 BFG TA KO on Black Rhino Rockwell
    Magnaflow Cat Back
    K&N 57 Series Intake
    Diablosport Predator
    Nerf Bars, Tint, Soft Tonneau

Its a privacy thing for me.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

X3. Better safe than sorry. I really wish I didn't feel the need to do that (because it's kind of a pain), but if you can think of several ways to take advantage of that sort of thing having never committed such a crime, imagine the possibilities of a career criminal.

Whew! I finally got out of the Shelby County Jail , I was held for Investigation Interviews and even held in a cell because I couldn't remember were I was on Feb. 4th at around 7-8 pm? I was picked up for for questioning following 2 armed robbery's and apparantly someone who has a grudge on me , has seen photos of my truck with a rear view , gave the truck discription and tag number , and I was leaving the scene of both crimes (in a hurry). Well finally got it straight for now , but my truck is being held while they finish up the investigation. I was told that I may get it back in around 3-4 days , and after I pay for the impound storage!!!

JUST KIDDING ABOUT ALL OF THIS...............BUT SEE WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!
    2003 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab 5.3L, K&N air filter , Flowmaster exhaust , Blacked -out Bowtie , leather interior , up-graded to 17's

well, about the jail post... i realy was once questioned in a murder investigation ( in germany tho ) the sketch in the news paper, REALY looked like me tho..funny NOT !
    But if i would be worried about privacy,,,, i would not own a PC or a life...everything today is open no matter if you scratch out your plates on a picture.
    I think its a waste of time, if somebody wants to know something about you he can google it or similar. NO PROBLEM !!!

Thats why i post away.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    well, about the jail post... i realy was once questioned in a murder investigation ( in germany tho ) the sketch in the news paper, REALY looked like me tho..funny NOT !
    But if i would be worried about privacy,,,, i would not own a PC or a life...everything today is open no matter if you scratch out your plates on a picture.
    I think its a waste of time, if somebody wants to know something about you he can google it or similar. NO PROBLEM !!!

Thats why i post away.
    Thats the truth! There's a website called intelius ,that you pay a small fee to and they give you ALOT of someones info. I don't know anyone that has done this , but you can google or yahoo search it and find the site, It should be illegal.
    Last edited by Bama Z71; 02-14-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    2003 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab 5.3L, K&N air filter , Flowmaster exhaust , Blacked -out Bowtie , leather interior , up-graded to 17's

Legend

Blog Entries

I don't think it's a matter of "they can whether you like it or not", I know anyone can get anything. With the internet, there's always traces everywhere you go and your identity is made public from your dog's favourite toy, to where you went for your 3 year old son's birthday, to your birthdate, to your unlisted phone number.

With the plates in pictures, however, it's a matter of how easy do you want to make it for people to mess with you. It's along the lines of "why bother locking my car? If they want to steal my stuff they'll just break a window." That's true, but there's a big difference between someone breaking into your car and stealing the head unit right out of the dash, as opposed to leaving your CD collection in a folder on the passenger seat, along with your wallet and banking information with the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, in a dark parking lot, after business hours, in a bad neighborhood.

Just my $.02
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy