GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1996 silverado Suspension Quesstion

I have a 1996 1500 ex cab, probably still has original shocks. I need to get something going soon, I'd like to at least level the rear, don't really want to lower the front too much or at all. Should I just go to my local tire/alignment shop and have them replace front and rear shocks ( was quoted about $300 including alingment) or find some kind of aftermarket kit. I don't plan to tow or haul anything heavy. I also have 17's with 255/60's if that helps
    Thanks
    DC
    1996 Silverado Ex Cab
    Harman/Kardon Traffic Pro
    Audio Control HPX
    JL Audio XR650CS
    JL Audio E2150
    Alpine SEC-150

Do you want to lower the rear or level the front? The back end of the trucks come stock with a slight rake. You can install a leveling kit to even out the front end, or you can remove the rear lift blocks to drop the back end to sit level with the front.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

i wanted to lower the rear a little. The ride is pretty bad right now, it hits pretty hard on bumps, i have a shaking in the steering wheel when i brake, i know i need to get the rotors replaces, but is there anything else i should look at.
    thanks
    DC
    1996 Silverado Ex Cab
    Harman/Kardon Traffic Pro
    Audio Control HPX
    JL Audio XR650CS
    JL Audio E2150
    Alpine SEC-150

New shocks would most likely alleviate some of the ride issues, and removing the rear lift blocks will lower the rear end.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light