GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 08 Silverado Stereo Installation Problems.

I recently purchased an 08 Silverado LT Z71 Crew Cab without the Bose system in it and am absolutely loving it except for the fact that the stereo is severely lacking on the low end of the scale. I was hoping to be able to just keep the stock head unit for the time being until I can scrape together enough pennies to buy a touchscreen nav head unit for it. Now this is where I'm having problems I bought a line output converter so I have RCA inputs for my amp except I cannot find a wiring diagram for my trucks stereo and I really don't want to make a mistake while wiring the converter.

I have installed a fair amount of car stereo systems in vehicles before but have never had to use a stock head unit before so this is a little new to me. I feel comfortable doing it but could definately use some help when it comes to wiring this thing.

Here are some pictures of both the wires coming out of my head unit as well as the wires coming out of the converter.

So if anyone has experience using one of these converters or even has just worked on the stereo in a similiar struck I could definately use any advice or assistance you can share. I am sure I could figure it out but I am still at that stage where I am terrified to screw up something while working on my new toy

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer me.

I didn't used that adapter when I installed my amp and subs with stock radio, just taped into the left rear speak wire. Unfortunately my truck is quite a distance a way in storage ... I think I got install instructions from crutchfield that I used. Maybe call the adapter company surely they have techs that can help you out. Bout all I can help you with ... Good Luck !!

I have done line out converters in two silverados. The ones with the bose package are a little more difficult so you are in luck. You should be able to get some extra speaker wire and tap into your rear door speakers. This can be done by removing the rear door panel, tapping into the wires with the extra speaker wire, then run the wire through the rubber housing leading into your cab. Repeat for the other side. You want to end up with the two sets of extra wires nearby to your sub location. Then you can connect your RCAs to the LOC and mount it close to your amplifier to keep things simple. You are going to need to have power to your amp and a way to turn it off so it isn't constantly running. I usually install a toggle switch to turn the amp on and off. It's not as hard as it sounds so don't get discouraged. Let me know if you have more questions or if you need me to explain it differently. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    I have done line out converters in two silverados. The ones with the bose package are a little more difficult so you are in luck. You should be able to get some extra speaker wire and tap into your rear door speakers. This can be done by removing the rear door panel, tapping into the wires with the extra speaker wire, then run the wire through the rubber housing leading into your cab. Repeat for the other side. You want to end up with the two sets of extra wires nearby to your sub location. Then you can connect your RCAs to the LOC and mount it close to your amplifier to keep things simple. You are going to need to have power to your amp and a way to turn it off so it isn't constantly running. I usually install a toggle switch to turn the amp on and off. It's not as hard as it sounds so don't get discouraged. Let me know if you have more questions or if you need me to explain it differently. Hope this helps.
    Haven't had much of a chance to try anything since last weekend, been nice and cold outside and having an unheated garage killed my motivation to go out and try lol. But this looks incredibly helpful. So when i connect the speaker wire to the rear speakers then connect it to the LOC should i just be connecting it directly onto the speaker terminals or should I be splicing it in further down the wire. As well when connecting the battery and 12v rem output as well as the amp power cable is there already a hole you were able to fit them through or did you have to drill through the firewall. I'm hoping to be able to find a hole thats already there but if not its not a big problem would just make life a little easier.

Other than that I think you pretty much cleared everything up I had never even thought of just using the speaker wires themselves but definately would be a whole lot easier then trying to figure out which of the million wires coming out of the head unit is the right one.

Thanks a ton for your help.

I spliced into mine a few inches down from the speaker (if I am remembering right) I think connecting wires right to the speaker terminals would work too as long as you have a good connection.

I am not too sure about the new style trucks on where to run the power wire through.

hello, my truck has no radio, I want to listen to something, do they make portable radios to plug into the cigarette lighter or is there a personal listening device that would work better?

Hey cadillac,
    You should start your own thread if you have a question because it will bring this one off topic.

Anyways, I have two stock radios from my old trucks. 2003 Silverado and 1998 Chevy 1500. Maybe you want to buy one? PM me if you are interested