GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long does it take for a computer to re-learn?

I've been advisied that the on board computer needs to re-learn new settings and "stuff" after making a modification. My questions are about how long does it take? Is it a matter of time with normal driving practices. Cold vs. warm engine start ups, how many? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I've been advisied that the on board computer needs to re-learn new settings and "stuff" after making a modification. My questions are about how long does it take? Is it a matter of time with normal driving practices. Cold vs. warm engine start ups, how many? Or what?
    What Year Vehicle and What Modification's have you done??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

The relearn on the OBDll trucks ('96 and newer) take about 50-100 miles. The older OBDl could take up to 500 miles.

yes... on the trucks, it tends to take about 50-75 miles for the fuel trims and stuff to get relearned by the ecm and settle in... "stuff" being idle, emissions readiness tests, etc etc... but, the emissions readiness tests are by "drive cycles", and not necessarily just by mileage alone...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Timely topic. I just installed a lift/level kit on my 2011 Siverado and on first drive I got a stabilitrack error right off the bat. Parked ot overnight after driving it about fifteen miles to get home. Next day I had to drive about another fifteen miles to the alignment shop. No errors until about half way there and then it popped up again. After the alignment, I drove home and didn't get any errors. Do folks think this is the system re-learning after the lift or was it that the alignment was so far off and causing problems (the alignment was pretty bad after the lift with both wheels toed outward).

2011 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L - 6" FabTech Lift, 35" Toyo's on 20" Raptor's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, Intune Custom Tune
    2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 5.3L - Black, 22" wheels, no other mods
    2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 Turbo - Black currently stock
    1993 Mercedes C300 Convertable Straight 6 - Red, 17,000 original miles
    2007 MB Sports B52 - 22' Competition wakeboard boat, 6.0L 375hp

Quote Originally Posted by jmanb View Post
    Timely topic. I just installed a lift/level kit on my 2011 Siverado and on first drive I got a stabilitrack error right off the bat. Parked ot overnight after driving it about fifteen miles to get home. Next day I had to drive about another fifteen miles to the alignment shop. No errors until about half way there and then it popped up again. After the alignment, I drove home and didn't get any errors. Do folks think this is the system re-learning after the lift or was it that the alignment was so far off and causing problems (the alignment was pretty bad after the lift with both wheels toed outward).
    I have heard of this being a problem if they did not connect the system back properly. If it does not come back on it is a good possibility that the alignment could set it off. I would just keep an eye on it. By the way, how much lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Black & White View Post
    I have heard of this being a problem if they did not connect the system back properly. If it does not come back on it is a good possibility that the alignment could set it off. I would just keep an eye on it. By the way, how much lift?
    3.5" lift. Since the alignment, I haven't had any issues. Everything rides nice.

2011 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L - 6" FabTech Lift, 35" Toyo's on 20" Raptor's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, Intune Custom Tune

Thanks for the help, as usual the members helped me learn something new! To answer '99HEARTBEAT's inquiry my truck is an 07 GMC Sierra Classic with the 4.3L. The latest mod that prompted my inquiry was the addditon of a super charger.

Well with a supercharger the ECM will be WTF? lol I'm sure you had a custom tune made for that modification. Now where are out pics and sound clips of a blown 4.3?

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71
    Stock 5.3L
    High Flow Filter
    Dual Exhaust
    KC Driving Lights behind Grille
    2011 17" GMC takeoffs
    Nerf Bars
    Toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Thanks for the help, as usual the members helped me learn something new! To answer '99HEARTBEAT's inquiry my truck is an 07 GMC Sierra Classic with the 4.3L. The latest mod that prompted my inquiry was the addditon of a super charger.
    If you don't mind me asking, what does it cost to put a super charger in these days and how much does that increase the horse power?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast