GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Airbox Mod Questions

Hey guys,
    Sorry for double posting, but I think my questions may be noticed and answered here better than the 5th page in the how to section. Anyways here is what I wanted to know:

I'm thinking of doing this mod to my 07 Silverado because I have all of the necessary materials and could do it for no cost. I don't know too much about mechanics so I just have some questions... What are the gains of doing this mod? How easy is it to mess it up? Will this improve hp and mpg? Does it change the sound of the vehicle? Is it worth it? How critical is having the ducting? I have some aluminum dryer ducting, will this work if I do duct it?

If anyone could help me out here it would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Are you just making your own airbox? what are you gonna use for a filter?

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I was going to use the stock air box with filter and follow this how to guide (link --> http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-To-Airbox-Mod ). The "how to" describes drilling a large hole in the front of the air box and using a shop vac screen to seal the hole off. Just looking for more info about this from someone who has done it or knows a lot about it.

What I tried and it worked well was to drill 1/2" holes in the front (grill side) below the filter and a few more on the fender side. Then, heres the time consuming part, I took a air die grinder with a bit for cutting aluiminum, it has wide teeth so it doesn't get plugged with plastic and I smoothed out the entire inside of the air box, both top and bottom. Those ridges are to suppress noise from the intake sucking air, but they do make the air turbulant going into the intake. Than I installed a Airaid intermeadiate pipe from the MAF to the throttlebody. Top it off with a K&N or like filter. It looks almost stock but you can feel and here the differance.

Sounds good to me can you post some Pics?

I know this sound dump, but I've never be able to figuire out how to post pictures. Sorry, if I ever do I have lots of pictures I'd like to post. Someday!

Thanks for the imput guys, but you aren't really answering any of the questions that I have had.

What are the gains of doing this mod? How easy is it to mess it up? Will this improve hp and mpg? Does it change the sound of the vehicle? Is it worth it? How critical is having the ducting? I have some aluminum dryer ducting, will this work if I do duct it?

As for your air flow question, if you are running the stock air filter and intake tube then you are not going to see much of a difference. But if you upgrade the filter, tube, or both in addition to this mod you should see decent results. As for the sound, you should be able to notice a difference if you upgrade the items i just listed. The whole idea behind this mod is to allow more air into the engine and the stock air box is restrictive but so are the filter and tube. that's why they work well together. So if you upgrade the box you need to upgrade the rest of the system. I know that AirAid makes a Jr. kit for you truck which is the equivalent to what SilveradoTrailblazer installed on his truck.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

I cute the entire bottom out of my stock airbox, threw in a K&N and called it a day. Now it gets a ton of cold air from under the truck... Sounds great and has great throttle response. No change in MPG

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by