GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why does my system sound terrible?!

About a year ago, I installed a new Alpine CDE-103BT stereo into my truck, along with new Pioneer speakers in the front and rear. (I'm not sure on the model numbers, but I believe they might be TS-G1643R's in the front and TS-A4672's in the rear. I paid around $250 for the new sets at Best Buy)

Throughout the past year, I have not been able to find a way to make this system sound "Decent". If I give it any bass at all (like put it up to level 3), it sounds like I'm going to blow the speakers.

I know getting subs would help, but I really don't want to get them. My buddy's Tahoe has the Factory Bose stereo system (and has no Sub), and sounds GREAT.. But isn't there a way to make this combination sound somewhat decent? or did I just not buy decent speakers?

If the speakers are a problem, what are some decent speakers for under $300 for a whole set?
    Last edited by JRD761; 02-12-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I've said it before and I will say it again... Stay FAR away from Pioneer speakers.. Unless you like Ear bleeds and NO Midbass...And stay away from Best Buy They know nothing about good sound....

Ok now if your not going to use a 4 ch amp (You should if you want a full sound) I would say look at the JL Audio Tr's. They sound great with little power and still have a good midbass. The Alpine Type S are nice too but less mids..Also to look at Focal Accs or the lower end Kicker.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

You're gonna laugh, but this is what I did. I wanted more bass WITHOUT having to install an amp & all the other stuff. So, I went to (snicker) Goodwill, and bought a pair of Aiwa mini system speakers. They're about 10"x10"x12", and fit PERFECTLY under the rear seat of my 2001 Silverado 2500HD Ext, cab. Then, I bought another pair of mini system speakers, and cannibalized them for the woofers. Using some 3/8" stainless wood screws and Marine Goop, mounted them to the plastic mounting rings that snap into the doors. They have a nice, full sound, and best of all, cost me about $50.00 all in!! Can't beat that! And the rear's are rated for about 100 watts. i just might try hooking up my old 85 watt, 2 channel amp to see what they sound like then!!
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Check what the Ohm is on the back of those.. They might be between 8-16..Your automotive system is 4 ohm.. Unless it's a Bose system. You could over heat your amp in the radio or an aftermarket amp.

Well, I had my old radio hooked up with those speakers for 7 years with no problems, (and still worked fine when I sold it) so they must be 4 ohm.

Unfortunately, aftermarket speakers are made to be PAIRED with a sub. Their design goals is to let the sub take care of the bass (~80hz and above) and let the speakers do all of the mids and highs. Ill bet if you surf through the menu on your 103, you will find a HPF (high pass filter) which eliminates the 80hz and below bass to the speakers. Its definately something i tell all of my customers at my car audio shop when they are looking at replacing their speakers.

On a side note, Kicker makes a badass 8" sub/box combo that we install underneath the seats of a ton of trucks, its fairly cheap and the bass it produces is ridiculous for a little 8"

~Jake