GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Alpine "Power Pack" vs. a standard amp

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab

I've installed an Alpine CDE-103BT Stereo receiver, 6" Kicker KS600 speakers in the front, and 4"x6" Pioneer TS-G4643R speakers in the rear (am looking into upgrading the rear.. they aren't doing too well..)

I was looking around at amps, and came across the Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack "Amplifier" that basically installs behind my CDE-103BT Stereo and acts as an amplifier

Has anyone tried installing this?
    I don't plan on installing subs, just want to keep some nice speakers. Maybe this "Power Pack" is better for me, or should I still look into getting an amp?

Blog Entries

I loved my power pack, installation doesn't get easier and the power is noticeable. I would say if you want more bass you should get a mono amp and a sub set up, but the power pack will get you really good mids and highs.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Is the alpine power pack exclusive to alpine head units or can it be installed with different head units?

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    Is the alpine power pack exclusive to alpine head units or can it be installed with different head units?

From what I've read about online is that it will work with any radio.. the connectors won't work, but you can direct wire it into your sound system and it's suppose to work just fine

I have an Alpine ida-x303 with Alpine SPS-600 speakers. It initially wasn't loud enough for me. When I open the windows the wind noise would drown out the system. I added the power pack for $109 from Best buy they installed it for free. The system is now perfect with plenty enough volume for me now, the sound has improved and is cleaner.
    If you don't need a full on amp, the power pack will have plenty of juice. If you are into boom boom bass then get a true amp.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Alpine ida-x303 head unit, Alpine Power Pack, Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers
    42" Slider Windows
    Custom Bed with 6" Memory Foam Mattress
    Avery Berber Carpet

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

It adds about 40 watts to your system per Ch.. For the price and ease of install it can't be beat. As you said above get rid of those 4x6 over sized Pioneer tweeters and get a Kicker 4in mid with a 4x6 plate and enjoy the sound...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I went out and replaced the Pioneers with PolkAudio DXi 460P.

Haven't gotten the Alpine Amp Kit yet, Best Buy was sold-out. I'll order this week from Crutchfield, but it's already sounding much better just by upgrading the speakers!

Legend

You should always stay with the same brand front and rear so you have matching tweeters and a Cleaner sound..

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    You should always stay with the same brand front and rear so you have matching tweeters and a Cleaner sound..
    I wasn't too impressed with the ratings on the Kicker 4"x6". I understand what you're saying, but the Polk speakers had a rating of 2-50w RMS, and the Kickers were only 6-30w RMS..

Legend

You could have gone with the Kicker KS40 4in speaker..it would match the front...

Woofer (in., cm)4, 10.0Tweeter (in., cm)1/2, 1.3Impedance (Ohms)4Max Rec Amp Power (watts PEAK/RMS)*60/30Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m)88Frequency Response (Hz)60-20kMounting Hole Diameter (in., cm)3-11/16, 9.4Mounting Depth (in., cm)1-13/16, 4.6Grilles

But The Polk does have a good sound You should be happy..