GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4l60-e transmission fluid capacity

Hi there. I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how much transmission fluid is needed for a simple transmission filter and fluid change. Im not doing the torque converter, just dropping the pan and changing the fluid that comes out and the filter. I have the deep pan not the shallow pan. Again, my transmission is the 4l60-e 4 speed automatic. Thx for the help and have a great day!

5 quarts. Put in a gallon first then slowly add the last quart to top it off, it may take a little more or a little less. Just keep checking it till its full.

dumb dumb question but here goes: When I check the tranny fluid level I have been checking it after a 30 minute run at 65mph, pulling the dipstick wiping it off, then reinserting and repulling to check the level with the engine OFF. Can you confirm this is the proper procedure for this.

JJ

Engine must be running, transmission in park, vehicle level, and the fluid hot. If the engine is not running you won't get a correct reading.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectormatt View Post
    Engine must be running, transmission in park, vehicle level, and the fluid hot. If the engine is not running you won't get a correct reading.
    only want to add to this that after checking if you need to add, add a little at a time. then shift and pause in each gear for a second then go back to park and check levels again.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

Jonejam, There's no such thing as stupid questions on here. Asking questions is how we all learn, so no worries.
    X2 on Inspectormatts & DSFloyds posts for checking your fluid level. Since you've been checking yours with the engine off, your true fluid level is going to be low, & that may be causing the shifting problems you described on your other thread. When the engines off the trans fluid runs back in the pan & reads higher on the stick than it does when it's running, so you may have been sucking partial air & & causing your shifting problems due to lower pressure.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Thanks again Stephan, Floyd & Matt. Using the correct procedure, I was 3 quarts low on fluid. I havent seen another slip yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Legend
    Blog Entries

You're welcome JJ. 3 quarts will definitely do it. If your fluid was nice & red & didn't smell burnt, then you should be good to go.

Thanks. It looked and smells good. I appreciate it. JJ