GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Amp Installation

Didn't see any posts regarding the topic, although I thought I would post my two cents anyways.

2011 Silverado LT Ext Cab, aftermarket Sony double-DIN head unit.

Wanted to install a sub as well as aftermarket speakers, but I didn't know where I was going to put the Amplifier seeing as how there's no real flat surface to screw it into.

Solution?

The rear passenger seat was the perfect spot for a bit of plywood to be attached underneath the pipe outline for the seat, with the cushion off. I started with a 3'x3' piece of plywood from Home Depot.

With the seat in the upright position and the cushion cushion OFF (unhook the two plastic snap clips, one on the back rear of the seat, the other on the inside area, between the other seat), I took the plywood board, and holding it 1" from the bottom pipe drew an outline of the pipe seating and cut out the template with a gerber saw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat Up.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	25030

Name:	Seat Down.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	25031

I used some double sided tape on the bottom of the piping to keep the vibrations down, and a ton of Zip ties to make sure that sucker goes nowhere. The holes for the zipties are drilled about 1" from the edge of the board.

You don't want the plywood to go all the way to the edge of the piping near the bottom of the seat (when upright), this will make the fit too tight to reapply the plastic snap locks on the back and side of the seat when putting the cushion back on.

Now, BEFORE you put the cushion back on, you have two options. You can predrill the holes for the amp which will make re-finding those holes difficult when the seat cushion is on, OR you can finish installing the cushion and just hand tighten the screws into the particle board. I did the second method, because I wanted the screws tight in the plywood (and it makes it easier to mount regarding the floor space)

Below is the finished product.

Name:	Install Finished.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	25032

That looks great! I've never seen an amp mounted that way under the seat, nice job.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Yeah. Very cool. You did a nice job with that.

Well done! I built my own box and mounted mine upside down over the hump in the middle.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Very Nice !! My box didn't allow me to do that so I just threw mine under passenger seat ! I really like the way it looks very clean !!