GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you thats an easy fix if thats what it is

Legend

Warped rotors can also give you vibrations even when not using the brakes
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Thank you but i'm pretty sure it has more to do with either the drivetrain or the tires. The rotors are new and are smooth when braking. I'm leaning towards the tires and am gonna have them rebalanced.

Legend

Blog Entries

Just in case the drivetrain or tires do not solve your problem, keep the rotors in mind. Rotors can be warped if your lugs were not properly torqued correct/equally, especially in the sense of them being over-torqued with a strong impact wrench.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by inspectormatt View Post
    I've had tires cause this problem before. The belts break in the tire causing a severe wobble, also called "death wobble". Only does it at a certain speed, I don't know why. To check if this is the problem, rotate the rear tires to the front and the front tires to the rear. If it goes away, then you know its the tires.
    Ok. Im a tire guy.

If you have a broken belt in your tire you will always feel it no matter what speed you go. Its the same with a shifted belt.

As for balance issues, if it were a balance issue it would be in your seat or steering wheel. Rotating your tires will only move the problem not solve it.

Seat for the rears, steering wheel for the front.

If you can feel the shakes throughout the vehicle, its likely drive line, or brakes and rotors. I've seen new rotors warp because they weren't cleaned right, or over torqued at the lug nut. GM trucks all require 140 ft/lbs of torque
    "Silly Honda. My lug nuts take more torque than your car makes."

7. Thanks cmcolfax thanked for this post
    Likes cmcolfax liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12