GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default MAF reading 0 g/s on data list???

Just did a engine swap in my 96 chevy due to some spun main bearings. Threw a cheap used 305 back in it. Got her up and running but runs like crap, or dies. Check engine light on. Pulled code. MAF input low. So I check for 5 volt reference. Its there. Check ground for continuity. Got the beep signal. Now I have one more wire. Which I believe is the signal wire to the computer. I don't know how to test it or where it leads for I dont have a ewd.
    I swapped a known good maf onto the truck also. No go. So Im pretty sure I messed up a wire......that third wire, which I believe it the signal wire.

How do I check it?

Where does it lead so I can run a new wire?

Is there anything else I should be looking into before I find out and run new wire?

Thanks and first post here.

did you rewire too, or just change engine? Are you thinking you pinched/broke the wire somewhere? I think there's a power feed to the MAF, so you could have bad power too it (or blown fuse), or broken wire back to the ECU.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    did you rewire too, or just change engine? Are you thinking you pinched/broke the wire somewhere? I think there's a power feed to the MAF, so you could have bad power too it (or blown fuse), or broken wire back to the ECU.
    Used original harness. Even swapped all sensors from old engine to new one to avoid this kind of Problem.

I have 12v pink wire. 12 v to positive battery terminal from blk/wht wire. And 5 v yellow wire. Swapped Maf with known good one.

Have not rewire anything yet. I'm guess the wire that sends signal to ecu from Mac is bad somehwere? Which wire is it? And does anyone know that pin location at ecu?

yeah, the signal wire probably got pinched. you'd need a shop manual or wiring guide to find out what pin/wire.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

I've found the wiring diagrams in Chiltons are mostly adequate for this kind of thing. If you don't have/want the print manual, you can access a free electronic version of Chiltons on autozone's website (look for the "vehicle repair guides" and they require you to register with the site).

I've also found that most public libraries have repair manuals in their reference section that you could photocopy a wiring diagram from. Some will even have electronic subscriptions to an online source that you can access if you get the password from them.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World