GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Torsion Keys - My Results.

Since I've used a couple of different sets of keys I'd thought I'd post a run down of the different heights I've had my truck just by changing/adjusting keys and show the versatility of the Torsion bar suspension. The most popular question is will my ride quality be affected? The short answer is - Yes. But the effects, in my opinion are negligible. With lift keys your torsion bar is like a coil spring that has been partially compressed so it doesn't have as much travel, and therefore rides firmer. In my experience the firmness was livable and after a while you don't even notice. The other question is, will my front end parts wear out faster? The answer to that is - Maybe, but how fast is fast? In my experience in a strictly street application I have seen no accelerated wear at this time(I'm getting ready to turn 100,000 and I lifted the truck at 40,000 I think), but if you go off-road a lot you are going to flex your suspension more and thus wear your parts more. In short I've had good experiences with torsion key lifts and would recommend them to anyone, most of the bad things I'd heard about them turned out to be false, (remember my truck doesn't go off road) off roading wears out parts fast so if you plan on a lot of off road abuse,
    a proper suspension lift is the way to go.

Here are pics for height comparison (I use the diet Pepsi height test!)

HERE'S THE TRUCK AT STOCK HIEGHT:

WITH STOCK KEYS ADJUSTED UP AS FAR AS POSSIBLE

WITH AFTERMARKET LIFT KEYS (PRO-COMP)

WITH AFTERMARKET LOWERING KEYS
    Adam

Great comparison Adam. I agree with the ride quality thing, after having my leveling kit in for 2 weeks now, I haven't felt any difference in ride quality.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Great post. I felt a large difference in ride qaulity with my lift keys, but my shocks are pretty much shot..... and after upgrading them am confident it will ride nice.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

How far up did you tighten your aftermarket lift keys?