GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default purpose of upgrading air intake

I have never been much of a gear head but what kind of performance do you get with a cold air intake? I am looking at possibly getting a volant cold air intake system. Thanks
    :great:Semper FI

2008 Vortec 6.0 LT Z-71
    2500 HD "BIG BOY" Truck
    Stealth Grey Metallic
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    Line X Bed liner
    265 75 R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 ORWl
    Chrome step bars
    Fog lights
    3M clear shield hood protector
    Putco over sized boss locker side rails 2 1/2"
    Truxedo Low Pro QT Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by 08bowtie View Post
    I have never been much of a gear head but what kind of performance do you get with a cold air intake? I am looking at possibly getting a volant cold air intake system. Thanks
    The Performance Gains by installing a CAI......just by itself are Small.....to receive Better Gains in Performance......along with installing a CAI, would be installing a set of Long Tube Headers and Cat Back Exhaust....

These 3 Bolt-ons.....will give you Solid Gains Re-guarding H.P. and M.P.G......Adding a Tune....Either Hand-Held or Custom Tune.....gives you your Best Bang for your $$$$.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

thanks Mike......lol I couldnt wait, I just purchased it and will be here in a few days. I am interested in adding a cat back exhaust too this summer......for now this may help with the itch to get a little more bang out of her........

The actual Purpose of a CAI is to lower the intake air temp on your air charge entering your engine. Cooler air is more dense, so you get more into the engine, effectively increasing your dynamic compression ratio. This is why forced induction engines will use intercoolers to drop the temp, so they can get more air pushed in.

As was stated though, the effect is generally minimal from a CAI with no other mods.
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Quote Originally Posted by dualdj1 View Post
    The actual Purpose of a CAI is to lower the intake air temp on your air charge entering your engine. Cooler air is more dense, so you get more into the engine, effectively increasing your dynamic compression ratio. This is why forced induction engines will use intercoolers to drop the temp, so they can get more air pushed in.

As was stated though, the effect is generally minimal from a CAI with no other mods.
    Yeah, the horsepower-to-dollar ratio for these kinds of mods on the new gasoline trucks is very low. I haven't done any to mine personally, for that reason. Maybe someday, if I have money to burn! Now on a diesel, ...well that's a whole other ball game.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

The CAI intakes also give better throttle response.

Legend

They do help, and every truck and every system will react different, but right off the bat you will most likely feel a difference in your upper rpm range as they will be able to climb a little quicker and have better HWY passing ability. At least thats what I have always noticed the most. If you do an exhaust I would recommend just going to a reputable exhaust shop, paying a grand for an aftermarket cat-back isnt worth the extra money over the gains a good shop will give you. Also, big name brand isnt always the best. I had a magnaflow on my suburban and was not happy with it, the muffler had horrible HWY drone and it only lasted 2 years and had rotted through, I replaced it with a Flo-Pro muffler and have been happier. Better performance gain, no drone and way better sound on my Beast!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

As said above the colder air will wake up the motor better but getting it in faster you should get it out fast too. Also between a chrome tube and a black tube. You might like the looks of a chrome tube but you will get a better performance from the black tube.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I always like to epen it up at both ends right at the begining, got to let er breath, and let er blow, with the cai and a exaust you will notice a difference

thank you everyone......I am just waiting for the CAI to arrive so I can install it

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by