GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Don't like kbb value of truck i want to buy. Help me asap with "good" offer please!

I'm looking at a '91 1500 2wd, with 215 miles on it, 1 owner, all repair, maintenence, etc. paperwork is still with the truck. Motor is original 350. It's the chevy red color, oxidized as they do on hood & roof. Knuckle size dent in front right fender, 1/2 of rear bumper trim is missing & rear bumber slightly bent (and attempted restraightened). Front passenger window has issues, transmission pan leaks, tires old & cracked. Front end needs shocks, tie rod ends & alignment. Rear shocks too.

Now the good things, STRONG motor, no visible oil leaks, nice firm transmission shift, recent custom exhaust with high-flow cat, emaculate interior. Paint in EXCELLENT shape besides the oxidization on hood & roof.

They're asking 2200, but with tires, front end & transmission leak....I'm leaning more towards 1800.

But Blue book FAIR value, which is what i deem this truck to be....is 2850. NO WAY.

Anyway....any and all opinions welcomed.

Thanks in advance!!!!

~Shane

Oh....By the way, if you see my signature which i haven't updated, you'll wonder why I want a 4th sub. Here's why.....the '89 was totalled in a wreck in May. and the '85 is now puffing nasty white smoke and coating the inside of the tailpipe with oil. Time for a replacement for these two. The sick '85 will become an engine/transmission/spare parts donor as the need arises for the '91 or the '95. The totalled '89 has been "donated" for scrap & cores to a good friend who has helped me out over the years.
    '95 1/2 ton Suburban 4wd 350, 140K, w/ tornado and k&n filter | everything else stock

'89 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 200+K, completely stock except 31 x10.50 tires & 40 series flowmaster

'85 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 250+K, burnt valve :lol: , edelbrock 50 carb, comp cam, silvolite pistons, HiPerf distributor, 18" glasspacks

who cares what KBB says its worth...go talk to the guy and offer him the $1800...the value of the truck is between you and him, not KBB
    89 chevy stepside off road
    03 suburban Z71
    03 Yukon SLT

Legend
    Blog Entries

X2 on Kennys advice. Make him your offer. All he can do is say no. He may be thinking he can get KBB value, but I think he might have to sit on it for a while with this economy that our government has given us.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Amen on Stephans comment. Its not about the blue book these days. Some cars are valued at 4 grand and its impossible to get 3 (my buddy's case recently).... others are valued very low but sell much higher. The used car market is fluxuating at an outrageous rate. Make ur offer, and haggle with him... point out the cost of everything you'll have to fix and tell him its the best he'll get.
    [/SIGPIC]James :great:

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

With fuel prices going up,Suburban prices go down.
    This would be great - if I had to $$ to upgrade to a 2004 Suburban which I would love to have since I'm a mpg nut and they do pretty well-and the 2000 on have much better brakes.

$1800 seems like more than enough.I see 1996 on for $3000 around here-with good paint and decent bodies-not rust buckets.
    Wish I had a spare $10000-I could get a low mile 2004.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend

Anytime I have bought a used vehicle and tires need to be replaced I take half the total of the tire replacement off their asking price so I say $1800 is fair, after all he is the original owner of a 20 year old truck, hes got his money out of it!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Much like everyone has already said KBB is only a guideline, go in with your offer and if he accepts it great, if he doesnt start looking for another candidate.
    When shopping for any high dollar item it's never good to get the mindset that you have to meet an expected price or a particular item is the one you have to have, always be ready to walk away theres always another deal somewhere down the road, you may have to wait some and search a little more but if your in it to find a bargain thats part of the work in finding a bargain.

Sr. Apprentice

So, here's the short(ened) version of the sales story: it's not really a one owner, it's a two owner. the most recent owner is some group/business called "teen challenge" and the person I was dealing with is selling it "for them". ....lol. I also found out it has an alarm & remote start, which is kinda cool. I offered the guy 1800, he said they wouldn't even hear it. So I looked around some more with my wife, and we decided to offer him 1950. He came back with 2000. My wife said "forget it if he's gonna haggle over $50". We looked around some more, said f-it, and bought the truck for 2000.

I'm waiting to see how mileage is. Can't be too bad as well as it runs.

Will keep y'all updated if you're still interested
    '95 1/2 ton Suburban 4wd 350, 140K, w/ tornado and k&n filter | everything else stock

'89 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 200+K, completely stock except 31 x10.50 tires & 40 series flowmaster

'85 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 250+K, burnt valve :lol: , edelbrock 50 carb, comp cam, silvolite pistons, HiPerf distributor, 18" glasspacks

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey 2 K's good RD. Right in the middle.. I think you got a fair deal. I wouldn't take 2K for my '88...
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Sr. Apprentice

By the way...It passed tx emissions inspection the day I paid for it. Way under the "standard" limits. Maybe that's cuz it's dual exhaust and they only put the thingy in one? i don't know. but i'm happy!!!