GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Help needed in Norway! No 4X4!

I have a 1990 6.2 Diesel 2500.

When I engage 4X4 with the Shift lever its not driving the Front Differential.I read on these forums that it might be the Actuator?So I bought a replacement Actuator from the internet,but I can't find out where the Actuator is mounted?

Prior to this problem,selecting 4X4 was often problematic.Now it won't work at all.I have been under and around the Front Diff twice and can't for the life of me find where the actuator goes.

The front Differential looks similar to any other I have seen.However on the Videos that show installation and removal of Actuators on later model Trucks it should seem apparant if my Vehicle requires an Actuator?

Welcome to the club. If you have a floor shift transfer case than you don't have a electric actuator.

Even with a floor shift transfer case there is an actuator on the differential. It's kinda towards the passenger side on the top. I've had to replace mine and check the fuse block also. There will be a fuse in there marked 4WD, which usually blows when the actuator goes bad.

I agree with Inspector...My Dad has a '95 K2500 Sub with the floor mounted shifter. Still has an actuator. When you climb underneath the front passenger side, look at the top of the axle shaft.

Gets quite cold in Norway? That may cause you some issues. The front end isn't electronically activated. It's almost hydraulic. There is a fluid in the actuator that once your transfer case is engaged, is heated and turns into a gas, expanding and locking the front end. In colder climates, this liquid will take longer to heat, therefore takes longer for your front end to fully engage. There are several companies that offer a manual front diff lock for about $200.

Good luck!
    Jess

1991 Suburban

I don't know how often they burn out but the replacement one I bought has a lifetime warrenty. A manual lock would be nice thou.

Mike, have you checked the fuse panel? My Dad's quit working all together the other day. Checked the fuse, and it had blown it. Replaced it, and it blew it again. Obviously some wiring issues, but maybe something you aught to look into?

When the actuator is broke it will blow the fuse. Replace the actuator and then the replace the fuse.

It may not be the actuator. Do you have a blown fuse? Does your 4x4 light come on? If you don't have blown fuse and your 4x4 light doesn't come on its not the actuator. Its the switch on top of the transfer case that tells the actuator to engage when you put the truck in 4x4. I had my transfer case replaced and the switch was bad in the replacement. Put my old one in and works great. It has a vacuum port on it and takes like a 1 1/16 or something like that to remove.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71
    Stock 5.3L
    High Flow Filter
    Dual Exhaust
    KC Driving Lights behind Grille
    2011 17" GMC takeoffs
    Nerf Bars
    Toolbox

Does your truck have a solid front axle or independent front suspension?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

@Magna86, even if it isn't the fuse and the 4X4 light won't light, it still could be the actuator. The light won't come on until the actuator FULLY engages the front axle. Been dealing with this on my Dad's '95 Sub for a while now. Soon, I am going to swap the thermal actuator with a manual kit. It completely bypasses the electronic/thermal system.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by