GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default House refuses to bar Pentagon from sponsoring NASCAR car? What do you think?

Should the Goverment spend this on Nascar or other needed things?

We wanted to bring you up to date on an item we posted this week on an attempt by a Minnesota Democrat to bar the Defense Department from spending money to sponsor NASCAR race cars.

The U.S. Army spent $7 million last year on the program and Rep. Betty McCollum's office called that a waste of money.
    Today, the Republican-controlled House did not agree. It voted 148-241 against McCollum's proposed amendment that would have barred Pentagon use of government funds to sponsor NASCAR race cars.
    The Marines, Navy and Coast Guard dropped their NASCAR sponsorship in 2006.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'm a big NASCAR fan, & I hate to say this, but when we're 14.1 trillion dollars in debt, I don't think they should be sponsoring the Army car or any other racing fraternities. Then again I don't think our politically liberal government should be funding illegal aliens, paying to support people who wont work, buying votes, wasting money on foreign aid to countries that hate Americans, paying for abortions, spending money to subvert the Constitution, or supporting the United Nations either.
    The US Army has also funded Tony Schumachers NHRA top fuel car for several years, which I like even more than NASCAR, but it's money down a rat hole when we're 14 trillion in debt & it's going to take 3 generations of Americans to pay off, providing they don't incur any more debt, (which they will of course with their liberal tax & spend policies)

Then again when we're $14,000,000,000,000 trillion in debt, what's a paltry $7,000,000 million. My calculator wont take a 12 zero entry but doing it the hard way, I come out with this 7 mil as being 1/2,000,000% of the 14 trillion that we're in debt. (If my math is wrong, please correct me. I'm not used to working with numbers this big.)
    Our liberal tax & spend government reminds me of my politically liberal friend, who has maxed out all his credit cards to well over $11,000.00, owes the IRS approx $15,000.00, but he owns a $250,000.00 home on 5 acres, has 2 Corvettes, a brand new Dodge pickup, & just bought his 30 year old son (who's still living at home & has no job) a new pick up (also on credit), but he's crying about his financial situation because Obama & the liberal government wont give him a bailout, & he can't get any more credit cards because he's so far in debt ha ha ha Go figure!!

I think our pathetic, underachieving, out of control & FINANCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE government should defund everything, including their own paychecks, their yearly perks, limos, & cost of living raises that they always approve for themselves (when at the same time they deny the same C.O.L. pay increase for social security recipients) untill we get out of this frickin hole they've dug for us.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Jr. Apprentice

Torn and rather saddened by this. As the recruiting tool that this can be, I'm for it. If this is more toys for people to play with, I'm against it. The recruiting / advertising side of this makes it "do-able" or at least palatable.

IMO if somehow it could be worked out where a portion of profits went back to the government and you could show where the 7 million was a investment with proven returns then it would be fine. But im with stephan. If you can not see a return on your investment we are killing the future for the next xxx,xxx generations. The only way to lower the deficit is to quit spending and start paying.
    2006 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0 Vortec, rhino spray in bed liner, LT package, westin step bars,true dual exhaust
    Mods to come: dixie horn, blacked out bowtie, recon smoked cab lights, recon led brake bar.
    Thank you lord:sign0011:

Jr. Apprentice

The investment is in the advertising dollar, Look at how many people watch the races, visit NASCAR.com, go to their drivers websites. Sponsorship has one of the best Return On Investment ratios out there. We need good educated soldiers to join the worlds ONLY volenteer military.

Dog in the fight, I am a Vetran of Desert Storm.
    Last edited by 87Hybrid; 02-20-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Miss spelling
    2002 Silverado
    Tahoe Grill, Billet Insert, White Crossbar, Diamond Plate Emblem, HID headlights
    ICE by Pioneer, Alpine, Pheonix Gold, JL Audio

Jr. Apprentice

Recruiting advertising is really not something that you're ever going to "recoup". 7 million dollar budget in a nation of 300 + million isn't that crazy anymore.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

And the car crashed today.. Well there goes my Tax dollars.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    ...when we're 14.1 trillion dollars in debt, I don't think they should be sponsoring the Army car or any other racing fraternities...
    That right there says it all as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for promoting and advertising our armed forces and I think that the fan base that NASCAR has is a great target. Nonetheless, I feel quite certain that recruiting offices are having no problem filling their quotas (especially given the deteriorated job market). More importantly though, we are far too in the red to spend that kind of money on much of anything. Especially advertising.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Jr. Apprentice

I'd rather pay the 7 million on these sponsorships that things like allowing the USPS to advertise. I'd also rather see the money go there that to pay farmers not to grow corn or 99% of the silly wasteful things in the "stimulus" packages.. Don't even get me started on the whole 60 billion to the automakers.

As far as the debt and the cost of this advertising; I can understand not wasting this money when we're so far in debt; yet this is a source of pride to me, and I do not mind seeing the names of our armed services on these cars at all. Whether for advertising, as a recruiting tool, or as something to root for, matters not to me.

Congress wastes far more money than this on many other things which are of little to no use other than being doled out to win their re-election. Whether it be for studying shrimp on a treadmill or flow rates of ketchup; this $7M is merely a drop in the bucket when they have, under this current regime, raised the budget $1.5 Trillion a year!