GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Front bumper cooling hole

My 2007 has a solid chrome bumper. I thought it was a 2WD thing to have this, but i have since seen two 4WDs with solid bumpers. Is it an '07 thing, GM discovered they needed more cooling, or maybe an option? I see no evidence of a bumper option on my build sheet other than chrome, and it has a trans cooler.

Just wondering.
    2007 C-1500 LT RC/SB (294 SS)

I think they started using that bumper in 2009, the same time the 6 speed tranny became standard. Just a guess, but I always figured it was just to get more air over the tranny cooler. FYI, my '08 has the solid bumper and 4 speed also. Maybe someone else knows the true reason...
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

I know on earlier model GM's the bumpers with holes were for additional cooling if the truck was a Diesel, havent really checked to see if that holds true for newer model trucks.

My '08 4 speed has a solid chrome bumper also...my father's 2009 and my buddy's 2010 have the slot and both are 6 speed. Wonder if the trans does have something to do with it??

________2013 4C Rated__________

Hey Alston,i never noticed that you do not have the slots on your bumper.I have the slots on my 09(i know because thats where i hide my block heater cord when i'm not using it)I have a 4 speed also,so i think they just changed it for style reasons.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Bib B, so you're saying you have the '09 with a 4 speed? All the 09's I've seen were with the 6 speed tranny. I wonder if it was an option, or did they just switch over in the middle of the production year? Maybe there is a 2009, and a 2009 & 1/2 ?? :sarcastic:
    -Sal

Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

I'm not sure,i know that my truck was built on Aug.20th/09.I have a 4.8 engine so i always thought that the 4.8s came with a 4 speed tranny.I kind of like the fact that i have a 4.8 with the 4 speed tranny as it sounds that my truck is a rarity compared to what i'm hearing on here.
    Last edited by Bigbomber; 02-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Yeah, that is kind of a rarity combo you got there BigB. I guess that bust the whole 4speed solid bumper idea....

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Yeah, that is kind of a rarity combo you got there BigB. I guess that bust the whole 4speed solid bumper idea....
    Well, not necessarily. If they started introducing the 6L80 in Silverados in 2009, and this was the reason for the cooling hole in the bumper, they would probably still use that bumper no matter what other tranny they offered at the same time since it would be cheaper for them to just produce one style. This all still depends on if this is the reason for the hole. Somebody around here ought to know. Maybe Big B was right...it might be a 4.8L thing.
    -Sal

Desert Brown Metallic

Jr. Mechanic

I have a 2010 4.8L it also has the holes and the 4 speed tranny. Thye all have the holes now and the 4.8L only comes with the 4 speed at least in Ontario. The 5.3L and up have the 6 speed though.