GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default NTTA Class Action Lawsuit

NTTA CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for excessive collection on unpaid tolls.

$10 in tolls shouldn't earn $500 in late fees.
    If you have unpaid tolls from the NTTA (North Texas Transportation Authority) that are 30-days late, you received a notice of deliquency of some sort. If you thought you could treat this like any other slow-pay bill and waited just another couple of weeks, your original low-dollar toll probably has turned into hundreds or even thousands (or even tens-of-thousands) of dollars.

You're probably wondering how this could be legal and how the NTTA could get away with doing this.

The fact is, the NTTA is BREAKING THE LAW. The provision in the transportation code that allows the NTTA to collect the toll (which they should be able to) and recover the cost of collections (which they should be able to as well) ONLY allows them to recover actual costs for collection, not profit from it.

Collections for each invoice probably average about $10 per person for a three-month collection cycle. That's all that the NTTA should be allowed to collect.

TIME TO SUE THE NTTA - MY STORY
    I actually approached an attorney about suing the NTTA for their over-the-top administrative fee when it comes to collecting tolls.

First, they only give you like 20 or 30 days to respond, which is outside of the normal bill cycle. Then if you're late from that short cycle, the hit you with a late fee, and if you go beyond that, they hit you with something like a 3000% penalty for an "administrative fee".

This is outrageous, so I was going to be the lead plantiff in in a class-action, but life got in the way, I took a new job, etc. So now I'll just be part of it as much as I can and we'll see what happens.

Here's some background on the North Texas Transportation Authority.

http://watchdogblog.dallasnews.com/a...ons-nttas.html

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Did you see the latest info FOX had about the NTTA looking to contract license identification?
    The Oklahoma Prison system submitted a bid to have prisoners read the video to identify licenses for fee collection, I'm not sure I feel good about prisoners getting access to my information, I dont care how much they try to assure me they wont have access to personal info these guys arent in prison because they were honest.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/trans...ng-process.ece

Legend
    Blog Entries

Wow getting a little out of hand with this stuff for sure! Glad i dont have to deal with tolls up here in MN!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Yea, I personally feel this is a small Govt. Agency that is positioning itself to be a dominating power.
    We dont need bigger Govt. IMO thats most of our countries problem at this time, their trying to be everything to everybody and failing at all of it miserably.
    I'll have to watch and see how this turns out theres a few more cases like this out there right now and I think the NTTA is getting ready to get caught in a fight with the public. Of course if the politicians arent kept in line the Govt. is going to win and crush the public. Time to mark my score sheet and see which politicians need to be voted out of office next time around.

I talked to an attorney and I had read the Texas code. They are ONLY allowed to recover the cost of collections. THAT'S it. It DID NOT cost $17,600 to recover money from that lady in question. It cost maybe $10. $20 is way too much actually. $17,600 is so mind numbingly unbelievable that I am still trying to get back in on the class action law suit.

I think these people running the NTTA need to be punished, this is government abuse plain and clear.

Default toll road Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Yea, I personally feel this is a small Govt. Agency that is positioning itself to be a dominating power.
    We dont need bigger Govt. IMO thats most of our countries problem at this time, their trying to be everything to everybody and failing at all of it miserably.
    I'll have to watch and see how this turns out theres a few more cases like this out there right now and I think the NTTA is getting ready to get caught in a fight with the public. Of course if the politicians arent kept in line the Govt. is going to win and crush the public. Time to mark my score sheet and see which politicians need to be voted out of office next time around.
    after passing through chicago area tolls a few times i received a large fine and the threat to suspend my license and car registration, i flipped the notice over and it read i ran ten tolls, thinking maybe one by mistake i was not to happy, i contacted the indiana attorney general, he replied with an email on numerous complaints, i sent a letter and threatened to call 60 minutes on their crooked system and they threw it all out, no apology though