NTTA CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for excessive collection on unpaid tolls.

$10 in tolls shouldn't earn $500 in late fees.
If you have unpaid tolls from the NTTA (North Texas Transportation Authority) that are 30-days late, you received a notice of deliquency of some sort. If you thought you could treat this like any other slow-pay bill and waited just another couple of weeks, your original low-dollar toll probably has turned into hundreds or even thousands (or even tens-of-thousands) of dollars.

You're probably wondering how this could be legal and how the NTTA could get away with doing this.

The fact is, the NTTA is BREAKING THE LAW. The provision in the transportation code that allows the NTTA to collect the toll (which they should be able to) and recover the cost of collections (which they should be able to as well) ONLY allows them to recover actual costs for collection, not profit from it.

Collections for each invoice probably average about $10 per person for a three-month collection cycle. That's all that the NTTA should be allowed to collect.

TIME TO SUE THE NTTA - MY STORY
I actually approached an attorney about suing the NTTA for their over-the-top administrative fee when it comes to collecting tolls.

First, they only give you like 20 or 30 days to respond, which is outside of the normal bill cycle. Then if you're late from that short cycle, the hit you with a late fee, and if you go beyond that, they hit you with something like a 3000% penalty for an "administrative fee".

This is outrageous, so I was going to be the lead plantiff in in a class-action, but life got in the way, I took a new job, etc. So now I'll just be part of it as much as I can and we'll see what happens.

Here's some background on the North Texas Transportation Authority.

http://watchdogblog.dallasnews.com/a...ons-nttas.html