GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fishing Trip Adventure

let me first say that this was thankfully not my truck.

so my 4 brothers (and my dad) and I went on our annual fishing trip this long weekend. my brother was driving, and he brought along his old 9000LB travel trailer, and his 2000 Ford F250 V10 crew cab. it's a long trip, and my brother's truck and trailer don't get along very well. the trailer is too heavy for the aged and abused V10 gasser with 295,000 miles on it, and seems to get slower and slower after each hill. then the truck bit the dust. we were on our way to the lake, on the freeway, when we hit a big bump going over a bridge. it sent the trailer off the ground and when the pig came back down it yanked the truck with it. the back of the truck scraped the ground and rebounded nearly off the ground, and came down so hard it busted the driver's side rear leaf shackle clean of. we heard a crack and then the tire started to rub against the fender well. we pulled over, but unfortunately my phone was dead so i couldn't take a picture of the carnage.

as if he needed a better excuse to get a new truck and trailer then $6400 damage. it got towed to a local shop, and it seems there was more damage than expected. the truck scraped the ground so hard it cracked the diff (it was a brand new 4.10 too), broke the leaf shackle and bracket, the list extends to a collapsed part of the frame (truck spent 7 years of it's life in Ontario, which uses salt for it's streets, so it has a bad, bad frame), popped rear tire, bent rim, etc etc.

the truck is really not worth anything to sell, and the money he would've dumped into repairing it, he decided to part it out. the trailer was traded in for a ultra-light Palomino Sabre 36 foot fifth wheel. what a great trailer it is. he also indulged in a 2011 Ford F-350 6.7 XLT crew cab. i have to say it is a gorgeous truck. it pulls the trailer like nothing.

conclusion: we went on our fishing trip.

pics of truck and trailer coming soon when i see my brother again.
    Last edited by 09Z71; 10-11-2010 at 01:20 AM.

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 **SOLD**
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost crew cab **SOLD**
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L crew cab

Legend
    Blog Entries

Funny story. What did your dad have to say about your brothers driving style and the trailer flying off the ground?

Since your brother's parting it out you should see if you can get the 4:10 gears!!
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Funny story. What did your dad have to say about your brothers driving style and the trailer flying off the ground?

Since your brother's parting it out you should see if you can get the 4:10 gears!!
    my dad's 80 years old and was scared out of his pants. my brother was driving fine, doing 10 under the speed limit and cruising in the slow lane. the 4:10 diff was wrecked. the cover cracked and messed up the gears inside.

it would void my warranty even if it was still good, and every member on this forum knows that i need the damn warranty.

Thats a heck of a story! Its always nice to have a good ending too! Minus the ford part haha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ive actually seen a truck do that in front of me.... Glad everyone came out ok since that could've ended worse. And a new truck and camper, must be rough!!
    And with 300K miles id say even for a ford it had lived a full life.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

yeah, well, he was really just waiting for an excuse to get a new truck and trailer, and this seemed to be his excuse.

turns out my truck already has a 4.10 axle. rare for a Silverado, as they don't put 4.10's in them anymore, because of the 6 speed.

So, did you catch anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 09Z71 View Post
    yeah, well, he was really just waiting for an excuse to get a new truck and trailer, and this seemed to be his excuse.

turns out my truck already has a 4.10 axle. rare for a Silverado, as they don't put 4.10's in them anymore, because of the 6 speed.
    That is a CRAZY! story,can't wait to see your pics.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Damn. Thats an expensive story :(