GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to read DTC codes on my 94 C1500

I did a number of searches here but could not find much on how to trigger the MIL lamp read-out for my OBD1 system. I've got a rough idle and want to see if I can retrieve the codes (blinking light readout) before I start changing plugs, wires, o2 sensor, drivettrain Can anybody point me to a how-to on getting to these codes? Thanks!

Thumbs up Paper clip test

Check out the site mentioned. You can get a cable that will let you download the codes to a pc which sounds pretty cool. Otherwise use the paperclip method below.

The Quick Paper Clip Test
    Since we are looking at the connector pins, it should be mentioned here that a quick method to see which trouble code or codes are being set in your cars ECM is to jumper the A and B pins of the 12 pin ALDL OBD1 connector with a paper clip. While the car is off, sitting still, turn the ignition key forward while this jumper is in place. Do not start the car. The Service Engine Soon ( SES ) light will flash in a repeating sequence, telling which trouble codes have been set in the ECM. A service manual for your year car will have a chart outlining what each trouble code stands for, or this Trouble Code website can be of help. This paper clip method will tell you the trouble code or codes set in your ECM, but it will not tell you what conditions the trouble code is being set under, or let you clear the trouble codes on the fly, as the ALDL cable and PC setup will.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Just to expand on this, here is a diagram to show you where A and B are.

Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

low tech rules. i hate the new OBII system, you have to have a reader to get the codes.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    low tech rules. i hate the new OBII system, you have to have a reader to get the codes.
    I know this thread is old, but the Torque for Android App and a bluetooth dongle can read OBDII codes and monitor all functions and outputs of the OBDII system right on the phone or tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I know this thread is old, but the Torque for Android App and a bluetooth dongle can read OBDII codes and monitor all functions and outputs of the OBDII system right on the phone or tablet.
    As stated above I know this thread is old, but my son with his 2011 cruze was looking at a way of integrating a tablet into his car. Last evening there was a sale at telus where they were clearing out there BlackBerry 32 GIG playbooks for $149.99 (canadian). So now that we have them and in the process of loading android on them we want to do something like this...
    http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/i...8618#entry8618

Anyone here seen/ thought of doing/done this yet?
    It seems I will need a Bluetooth ODBII connector, and some downloadable software to use on the tablet and I'm good to go!

Might work at this this month...
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Since you are going for full integration, you should get one of the better BT dongles. Just download the TORQUE app and check out the forum. Lots of people have mounted tablets into the dash and run the app for their gauges. They also recommend which bluetooths to get.