GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Interior lights shorting out...

1995 Suburban 4x4 LT K1500 350 motor

The interior lights intermittently short out.

All of them go out at the same time. Then, a few minutes or days later, they will work again. Also, I don't know if it helps any, but the driver side door doesn't trigger the interior lights when I open the door either...even if they are otherwise working.

I realize that I have a short somewhere, but if anyone can give me an idea where I should start looking, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everybody in advance.

Ususally a good place to start is the door jam switch. Test for short post of the switch. Sometimes the shorts are in the weirdest places, like up in head liner.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Pull all light assemblies down and out. Then see if shorts are obvious near light housing. Plus this gives you access to wiring to test for shorts. Pull interior fuse and start testing brother. Multi-meter is the better choice to trouble shoot short. (The Cable-guy in me is coming out now...LOL)

Question Smart lights?

Does the 95 have the 'smart' interior light circuit? By that I mean do they time out if you leave them on after the car has shut off? This can cause you to misdiagnose the trouble. I agree that you should start with the door switches and it sounds like the drivers door should be your starting point.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Does the 95 have the 'smart' interior light circuit? By that I mean do they time out if you leave them on after the car has shut off? This can cause you to misdiagnose the trouble. I agree that you should start with the door switches and it sounds like the drivers door should be your starting point.
    As far as I know, I do not have the smart circuit. I do have that on my 95 S-10 Blazer, but I purchased the suburban at the beginning of this month and from the time that I bought it, I have had this problem. When the lights come on when I open the passenger doors, the lights immediately go out when I close the door. So, unless the smart circuit is totally messing up, I don't believe that I have it on the 'burban.
    Anyhow, I will start at the driver door switch and hopefully that will be my problem. Thank you and Cableguy for all your help.
    Bret
    Bret from NorCal
    95 Chevy Suburban 4x4 LT K1500 GM Goodwrench 350 with 55K
    95 Chevy Blazer 4x4 LT 4.3 Vortec w/ 1000K :)

Thumbs up Keep me posted

Let me know how that works out. My trouble is the front passenger door. No dome light action from it. It's been that way since I bought it a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Let me know how that works out. My trouble is the front passenger door. No dome light action from it. It's been that way since I bought it a couple of years ago.
    You got it, bro. I'm honestly not very proficient on electrical issues but I'm reading up on it a little bit so we will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted...

Talking

Dang...that last post just promoted me from newbie to jr. apprentice. Movin' on up like George and Weezie!