GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 02 Tahoe Leveling Kit/Shock Question

Hey guys,

I'm looking at leveling out the 02 Tahoe. We have a grille guard and it makes the front sag even more than usual. I did a bit of product research and it looks like it will need a torsion key level. Furthermore, my understanding is that new shocks are required with most kits. The Readylift kit has shock extensions so that would be a good alternative to having to buy new shocks. So...

Do any of you have any experience with various leveling kits for this body style Tahoe? If not, do any of you have any knowledge about different kits and their strengths/ weaknesses? Also, will leveling the 2002 Tahoe require new shocks with a kit that does not have shock extenders?

Thanks.

P.S.- Here's the link to the Readylift leveling kit for the 2002 Tahoe.
    http://www.readylift.com/c-39-chevy-...-6-lug-25.aspx

I would go with the ReadyLift kit. If the shocks are the factory originals they are most likely worn out and need to be changed. I would get the ReadyLift with the shock extensions and then get stock replacement Bilsteins shocks.

That's a good idea actually. The vehicle only has 60,000 miles on it and the shocks were changed at about 40,000 miles (only because about 10,000 of those miles were at high speeds on horrible Guatemalan roads... they needed it). Nonetheless, I think some Bilstein shocks would do it well.

Is ReadyLift the only manufacturer that currently makes a leveling kit for an 02 Tahoe?

Sorry, I have not looked at any other manufacture, maybe someone else out there can help.

Legend

Blog Entries

Here's one site that lists many, to include: Skyjacker, Pro-Comp, Superlift, Daystar, and a few others....good luck!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/search.aspx?kw=leveling+kit

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I've found that this website is pretty good http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...absorbers.html It doesn't look like they have a leveling kit for your Tahoe, but they've got shocks and the prices seem pretty fair.

Cool. Thanks for the links, guys!

Legend

Blog Entries

You're welcome...is the Tahoe yours or are you helping someone out?

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I've been touting the merits of the Pro-Comp torsion keys I had in my truck for a long time. Just so you know, they are the same as the Ready-Lift keys. As you can see in the pic it has the same 66-3000 part# that Ready-Lift uses and it's used in GMT800 trucks and SUV's. My keys didn't come with shock extensions, they are not needed, but if it comes with them you might as well use them. If you are going to replace the shocks I would get a longer shock and leave out the extension.(I know most shock manufactures offer shocks for lifted applications). You will notice a difference in the ride, I don't care what they advertise, you can't alter a suspension and not expect the ride to change. Having said that the ride is not bad in my opinion but it is definitely stiff enough to notice a difference, I thought it made the truck feel more stable and less floaty in the front. I would stay away from cheap E-Bay cast keys, with the increased pressure on them they could break, although it's unlikely why chance it, go with forged keys as they are much stronger.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast