GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Members opinion...

Hey there... new here with a question for y'all.

I am thinking of buying a 1998 Tahoe LS with 123,234 miles on it for about $9k. Nothing wrong with the SUV. No ding, bing, or rust. Still a strong runner with no outward sign of abuse or misuse. Passed a brief test drive and visual machanical inspection by a independent auto machanic.

My question is this: What is the collective opinion of this forum members as to the purchase of this vehicle?

Any comments is welcome as I am not a full size SUV owner and have no experience owning such a vehicle.

Thanks-

Blog Entries

I think you can do better on the price. I have a friend that had a 97 Tahoe that he bought for $4500 that had just over 200K miles on it, and he sold it after a year for what he paid for it and bought a 97 GMC Suburban with 165K miles on it for $4000. Both trucks were in very nice shape (esp. the GMC) so shop around. I did check Craigslist and found that price ($9k) to be average but there are some killer deals out there. I saw this beauty for only $5k!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Smile

well in my opinion,chevy tahoes Rock.lol.ok well im a chevy Man myself.but i got a 98tahoe LT 5.7 vortec 350.i love it but they're are some things you may wanna think about b4 buyin it.they do eat up gas compared to a smaller vehicle,and they are prone to a few other problems,like intake manifold gasket failing.mine is just started leaking(132,000miles).maybe its just me but i think thats to soon to leak.but they are great vehicles.i love mine.they are powerful and fun to drive.iv added a tornado to it and a Power-aid TBS to it and i notice a nig difference in power gain.well if ya need any info about the tahoe let me know.

good luck

Smile

well in my opinion,chevy tahoes Rock.lol.ok well im a chevy Man myself.but i got a 98tahoe LT 5.7 vortec 350.i love it but they're are some things you may wanna think about b4 buyin it.they do eat up gas compared to a smaller vehicle,and they are prone to a few other problems,like intake manifold gasket failing.mine is just started leaking(132,000miles).maybe its just me but i think thats to soon to leak.but they are great vehicles.i love mine.they are powerful and fun to drive.iv added a tornado to it and a Power-aid TBS to it and i notice a nig difference in power gain.well if ya need any info about the tahoe let me know.

good luck

That's a great truck, but even if everything is in great condition, I definately wouldn't pay that much for it. Personally, having owned a high mileage GMT-420 Tahoe recently, I wouldn't pay more than $5-6k.

But before you do, take it for a long test drive and listen for any noises. Also make sure it drives straight. With that many miles, I would even suggest taking it to a mechanic so they can inspect everything, check the alignment, etc.

If everything works out, you'll have one nice truck. Good luck!

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

I just payed 4500 for a 97 4x4 suburban with only 103K on it. I think they are high by at least 3 grand on their price. Where are you located, that may affect the price, because down here there are more on the market, lowering the prices.
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T
    2005 VW Passat 1.8T - soon to be gone but not forgotten
    1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 5.7L - What have I gotten myself into?!?