GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Power Steering/Brakes DEAD on 2000 Yukon XL

Greetings all,

Wife went to use the Yukon on Monday during a big snow (we've got three vehicles and the Yukon get's used for "special" occassions) and both the power steering and brakes don't work. Truck is 3/4 ton and I've learned the brakes are tied into the PS pump.

Serpentine belt is fine, but when I took the top off the PS to check the fluid, it was filled to the top. Talked with my regular mechanic and he says the pump is probably shot and the reason the PS pump was filled was from trying to turn the wheels with the pump broke.

Vehicle has 170,000 miles on it though the PS pump has leaked slowly since we owned it at 42,000 miles.

I've done some work on this vehicle (new alternator, new waterpump, new pullies, etc), but I'm no "expert" mechanic.

Given this, and a heated garage to work on a vehicle that can be "down" for a week or more, does replacing the pump sound like the thing to do, and is it something a weekender mechanic type can handle?

Thanks for considering,

Tim

Hydrobooster..sounds like, the damn part is about 450 bucks and a PITA to change out.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Welcome to the club, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Hydrobooster..sounds like, the damn part is about 450 bucks and a PITA to change out.
    Thanks for the reply...I noted this part at AutoZone for $175 (if we're talking about the same thing).

PITA is not my thing. Sounds like I'm gonna run it to my Mechanic.

And thanks SDTB for the kind welcome. I've saved $$$s using a snowmobile forum to fix my sleds, so I'm hoping to pick some of the brainwaves here as well.

Cheers,

Tim

just a heads up, the autozone ones are grap !!! i had 1 from them in my burb and it lasted 6 month..had to it all over and did not want to take an other chance at theyrs..i buy a lot from them but not when it comes to brakes and such major stuff GO WITH THE OEM PART !!!!! but maybe your lucky.

It looks like this...and they are actually not 450 bucks anymore..lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-O...item5d2d8d3509

The reason they're a pain to replace is that to get to the pump, you have to remove the entire drivers-side accessory mounting bracket, and then press the power steering pully off the shaft before you can unbolt the pump. I would say it's not difficult to figure out, it's just time-consuming and the accesory bracket itself is a solid 50 pounds, not counting the accesories mounted to it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage