GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default new shocks but ride still sucks....

Hey All,

I need some advice...

I installed some Bilstein 5100 shocks on my 2003 2500HD, the old shocks were stuffed when I pulled them out and once compressed would not extend again, but once I put the new shocks in I was hoping it would fix the issue I had which is....when going over some bigger speed hump the front end seems like it just drops/bangs down....

I dont know if thats just normal for a truck or if there is something else that needs tro be changed... I tried with the torsion bars at normal height, cranked a little bit and cranked a lot and didnt seem to make much of a difference....

HELP.....
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8

If you crank your torsion bars it will only make your ride stiffer. Also, if you have a tire with a relatively aggressive tread pattern that will have some negative effect on ride quality also.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Sr. Apprentice

The tires are BF Goodrich all terrain T/A's.... How are they for ride quality?

I did put the torsion bars back down so that the lower bump stops are just off the lower control arms....

Maybe I was just expecting too much from the Bilsteins...... from thread searches people talk them up like they are fantastic, thats why I am thinking maybe there is something else that needs replacing....

They ARE fantastic!I found that once i replaced my stock 245 tires and switched to 265s the ride softened a great deal.I'm running my Goodyear Wrangler Territorys at 45 psi.The tires are load range E and and are a mud & snow tire.I ran Firestone Transforce Ats before at 35 psi
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Sr. Apprentice

im going to try lowering the tire PSI tomorrow and see if that helps at all....

that might help, but the BFG A/T TA's should ride fairly smooth.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

As far as the bang when going over speed bumps, have you looked at the upper and lower control arm bushings? Your truck is about 8 years old and those bushings may be cracked and worn.

Sr. Apprentice

No I didnt think of the control arm bushings.... Thanks.... Whats the best way to check, just visual inspection?