GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Unavailable parts? (auxiliary heater hose)

Hi all

My mechanic is telling me that he can't get replacement aux heater lines for my 2003 Yukon XL. Unfortunately one of mine wore through the metal line, where it had been rubbing against a flange near the rear of the vehicle.

I'm floored that the part is simply not available, not made. This is my first GM vehicle in forever. It's less than 8 years old. Is parts availability that sketchy in general?
    Sebastian
    2003 Yukon XL 2500 4wd

Typically, parts availability from GM is good for the first 3 years or so, then it peters out when GM stops stocking the parts, but the aftermarket market either isn't legally allowed to make toolings, or just haven't been able to develop the toolings for new parts. You might want to check restoration parts dealers like LMCTrucks to see if they have on, and if not perhaps your mechanic can disconnect the rear heater hoses until the part becomes available.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I'm sure some aftermarket supplier makes them. As Crawdaddy said I would check LMC Truck or Dorman.com. With all the Yukons XL and Suburbans someone makes a replacement. I've never changed one on your year truck but maybe its a pain in the ass and your mechanic doesn't want to do it?????

Thanks for the replies. I checked with a dealer and they too say it's not made, not available. Only thing to do is patch the line with a hose and compression fittings. Which is ok, it's just a heater hose after all, but generally I like to stay OEM when I can.

Thanks again.

There is allegedly a federally mandated 10 year rule for availability of parts after a model is released. However there are also some exceptions. Accessories: 2 years. "Soft trim" [whatever that means]: 5 years. OR when a part has not been sold for 2 years. GM did this for Saturn parts.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Also, google around. At www.partswebsite.com (a webstore for a GM store in TX) I found:

W/aux. heater
    Quantity: 1

Make: Chevrolet
    Model: Tahoe
    Model Year(s): 2003
    List Price: $93.27
    Your Price: $74.62
    Description:
    HOSE
    Last edited by jreagan; 02-23-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Legend

Well this sounds very odd that one cant be found, I have NEVER had a problem finding hoses for my 99 suburban and I just replaced all of them and all AC lines as well and not one problem and every one was in stock as well. Go to oreillys or autozone.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16