GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Favorite year and model of a Chevrolet Blazer?

Just thought i would throw this question out there. I was thinking on buying an old Blazer to fix up and attend to a personal craving for 4x4ing I have always wanted to own one, just thought some of you out there might have a good insight on the good and the bad?
    Owned Pickups:
    2003 Silverado 4x4 Crew cab 6.0L
    1996 Silverado 4x4 Ext. cab 5.7L

I've always been partial to the '71 or '72 models. I owned a '76 and really liked it. If you are looking at something newer I'd look at the early '90s. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I had a '75 Jimmy, so, of course, that's the best one ever made.

Late 60's-72 had cool body lines, and I think a 3/4t version. 73-75 was the new body style w/ full removable roof (and the coolest, as mentioned above). 76-88? continued the body style, but the roof came off behind the front seats - not as cool, but still wind in your hair. In the 80's, there were diesel, 3/4t versions available, which made a pretty sturdy work truck, but most of those are beat or rusted by now.

I kinda lost interest when the names changed to the S-10 line, and the full size kept her top on...

If you're looking for a wheeler, I can't suggest any particular one. I think all of the full size line were build pretty tuff, and there's a ton of aftermarket stuff. It comes down to cost, availability, and personal style. Last week in the trader there was a 69 Blazer with no interior, roof, or right quarter panel. It was listed as "rare", and they wanted $3000!

Every time I see a picture of my era truck, I get a pain right here. Good luck with your search, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct what I said above.

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

I always loved the 68 to 72 model, but their hard to find in decent condition at a good price.
    Second choice would be 73 to 78.
    Third choice 79 to the end of production for the FS Blazer.
    First two choices are because of the full removable top, I lost interest a little when they went to a half top.
    The later Blazers (late 80's early 90's) had great drivetrains but IMO to many electronics controlling things.
    I've always wanted a mid 70's 2wd Blazer to build up.

No doubt the 68-72 trucks look great. But I would take an 88-91 for EFI and creature comforts, all with the solid axle and classic sheetmetal. Plus the grills on that vintage look sweet.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

These all sound pretty promising, but what do you mean )2COR517) by they have a solid axle? Did the earlier models not have solid axles?

Pickups had solid front axles through 87, Subs and Blazers had them through 91.

I love the 68 - 72 but they are hard to find, if you do find one it is either trashed or expensive. If you are looking for a more affordable one go with the Mid 70's models. Go ahead and subscribe to LMC Truck magazine, they have every part you could want.

-JJ
    04 Silverado Ext-Cab 2wd LS w/ 5.3L
    Spectre Performance CAI
    FLOPRO Dual Exhaust
    Bakflip HD Bedcover
    2005 Z71 17in wheels on Duellar A/Ts
    DDM Tuning 6k HID Low Beams
    Sony Headunit w/ iPod
    Blacked out Bowtie and Windows
    Matched Paint for bumpers and grill

Good to know, thanks!
    That is one thing that i have heard, that they have parts available from most places, and are readily available at affordable costs.
    Last edited by derickheggie; 02-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.

If you do find something, there is a place a little south of you, in Wyoming, that has some decent bodies for the 70-80 models.
    I found a replacement body there for my '75. It was $200us, but we decided that gas would be too much for a trailer trip back and forth from Michigan. Come on lottery...

Here's there site: http://www.wyomingclassiccars.com/

Good luck,

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by