GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rough Ride on 09

09 Silverado 4x4 Z71 ready lift 2.25 on front 3 block on back
    I have had my leveling kit on for a while and it was the same ride as before smooth as a Cadillac. I put new Toyo M/T LT275/70R18 125P E/10 (33X11.00R18) now its a rough ride and the rear feels like it bounces. Any input on this?

What air pressure in tires???

X2, air pressure, if pressure's within spec then it's because you've switched from a smooth riding highway tire (stock) to a bone crunching aggressive LT mud tire.
    Adam

I have almost the same setup as you on my 2008 but I have the 2" blocks in the rear. I did notice a slight harsher ride once I went to a M/T tire, but by no means is it a bad riding truck. I did get a little better ride once I dropped from 50psi down to 37psi.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    I have almost the same setup as you on my 2008 but I have the 2" blocks in the rear. I did notice a slight harsher ride once I went to a M/T tire, but by no means is it a bad riding truck. I did get a little better ride once I dropped from 50psi down to 37psi.
    Hey, you're like me now running between 35 and 40 psi. Not sure what the long term wear effect will be, but the ride is much better than with 50psi

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

Karl, It could also be a change in sidewall rating. Did you go from "C"s to "D"s, or "D"s to "E"s?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Hey, you're like me now running between 35 and 40 psi. Not sure what the long term wear effect will be, but the ride is much better than with 50psi
    Much better ride for sure, but I am sure it will have some kind of effect on the wear.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Karl, It could also be a change in sidewall rating. Did you go from "C"s to "D"s, or "D"s to "E"s?
    Stephan...I heard you were partial to the Double Ds

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Stephan...I heard you were partial to the Double Ds

Actually Mike, in the vein that you're alluding to, the "D"s are a softer ride ha ha ha
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

there are a few things that were said to agree with. the new tires are a MT in an E rating. What was it before C or D. if C you will definately notice a difference there as well as going from a highway tire to a mt. Also on the PSI, unless you are always running fully loaded dont run max psi. will give you a stiffer ride and you will wear the middles due to overinflation. there are ways to figure it out by weighing the front and then weighing the rear, doing some calculations blah blah blah to give you a good psi. One easy way to do it is to grab some chalk and color a nice strip across the tread (an inch or so wide) drive down the street and see if there is chalk left behind in the middle or edges or all gone. if chalk is left in middle and not edges than tire is under inflated. if chalk is gone in middle and left on edges its under inflated. With my 315/75/16 D's have a max psi of 50 (on a 33 E tire may be 65 psi, I know that is what an E is on the 35's. Stock size E's are 80). I run 38 up front and 35 in the rear. I kinda do the opposite since I have a gravel driveway. when I get out I look to see where the gravel dust is on the tires. also once you get close then measure the distance from the ground to the center of the hub. should be about the same height. On mine I could probably put a little more pressure in the front to make the front and rear the same height. obviously unloaded the rears will have less weight on them than the front which is why I run more pressure up front. Running a tire at full psi cold is good if running loaded which is why even with the 80 psi stock E tire (for my truck) the fronts are at 60 and rears are at 80 according to the sticker on the door, cuz thats where the heavier weight is. all based on weight on the tires for correct psi moreso than what is listed on the side of the tires. that is just a pressure when carrying the max load.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 02-24-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast