GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

I actually test drove an 05 dually today andon the freeway @ 70mph it was getting 16.3 mpg, I figured that wasn't bad. I also talked to a guy that has the same truck in an 06 and he only get 12mpg. I figure that it must be a difference in the gearing.
    I am going shopping tomorrow and I am looking at 4 different duallies, 3 are 05's and one is an 06 extended cab instead of a crew cab and it only has 50k miles on it, so we will see what happens.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

16.3 mpg at 70 mpg is very good- roughly what you should expect from a dually in very good condition. It would get about almost 19 mpg at 60 mph-
    Be careful about the in dash mpg gauge.They are usually optimistic- some manufacturers make them waaay optimistic.
    Our Prius regularly says we have trip mpg of 43mpg- we actually get 39 mpg by actually diving miles traveled by fuel pumped in.It is about 8% optimistic-lying.

Still watch that mpg gauge- really poor mpg can indicate a problem- drive them at a steady 65 or 70 mph to compare the ones you look at.
    Some motors are just sweeter than others- make more power get better mpg- just luck of the draw- good tolerances and well maintained.
    I'm really curious- I like the idea of TDs- can't afford one, don't need one, but I like the efficiency.There is a reason all big trucks are TDs.It isn't the power/torque- big spark motors can make plenty of power/torque. It is strictly the FE.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    It isn't the power/torque- big spark motors can make plenty of power/torque. It is strictly the FE.
    Charlie
    I agree with almost all of what you posted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this is absolutley nonsense !!!!!!

I do know a big CI engine can make a lot of tourge or HP...but at which RPM ????

The diesels are low rpm tourge monsters and that is why they are better for pulling and also in FE !!!!! just say'n....

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Ok I took the plunge today and bought a dually, it's a 2006 extended cab 3500 Duramax with 49,200 miles on it. By the dash mpg gauge I got 18.1 mpg on the way home and it was a total of 103 miles. It has cloth interior and paid 27K for got 13,500 for my 03 Avalanche.
    The only problem with it is it's white and the stereo sucks, other than that it is in great shape.

Congrats !!!! looks good, i like white !

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

OK I'm jealous.
    Very very nice truck.It will be worth $14000 more than your Avalanche- you did OK.49,000 MILES- nice low miles- should have another 150,000 miles before any significant problems. I love low mile used vehicles.It means there were fewer miles for the PO to screw it up.
    18.1 mpg yep diesels get great FE.
    A BB spark motor would have gotten you 10 mpg on the trip home.No one brags about a 454 or 502 FE. Heck they try not to think about it!!

Daredevil- we are saying the same thing-
    TD Diesels save $$- because of the huge FE advantage.THE huge FE ADVANTAGE is because they can take big boost and big compression-
    Big boost and BIg compression mean big torque and big HP at low RPMS.Low RPMS mean good FE because of low friction losses.
    High RPMS= high friction losses
    Our WW2 trucks were all big spark motor straight 6's- crummy FE barely adequate pulling power-really slow accelerating.
    Krauts were way ahead diesel wise- they even had diesel planes.
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 03-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.

That's a nice Dually! I think you should just go ahead and get the dually, if you want to tow a 5th and a boat then you couldn't beat the duals in the back.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Thanks
    We took my new truck for a little drive yesterday and I had a whining noise on the passenger side while going over the pass. After we got over the pass I realized it was nothing to worry about, it was just my girlfriend. She hates heights!

HAHAHAHAHAHA....lmao

Congrats on the new truck, diesel is the only way to go when hauling. You Should look into a good tuner for the truck and you will increase the MPG by doing so. I know alot of people with '06's and they get 20+ MPG (not Hauling). EFI Live is the best but consists of re programming and can cost a bit. I run an Edge unit that is just a plug in and am very happy with it.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com