GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My first performance upgrade

Put in a Volant CAI yesterday. Only bad thing I have to say about it is the position of 2 of the screws that hold on the cover. As you see in this pic, they are under the lip of the fender and are not accessible with a screwdriver.

and here are a few more pics.

from the side

Close up from the front

A wider angle shot.
    Lane - Oklahoma
    2010 Chevrorlet Silverado LT Ext Cab 2wd
    - Volant CAI, Westin Steps, WeatherTech Vent Shades, Bug Shield, and Mud Flaps, Bullet Liner, Slimline Truck Cover
    2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Yeah, those two are tough to tighten, but you can get them with the side of the screwdriver and a lot of patience.
    Looks good.

Very cool. I like the mesh-looking cover
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Very cool, man! That's a nice upgrade.

Theres a few companies like SnapOn tools that make a small angle screwdriver thats a flat blade on one end and a phillips on the other end. From what I can see from your pictures it should work on those two hidden screws.

The co-worker that was helping me had one of those. It was still too long between the tip and the bend to get under that lip. The screws are finger tightened at the moment and seem to be pretty secure. I'll just need to check them periodically to make sure they haven't worked loose. I'll probably see if I can get some wing head screws to replace them though.
    Lane - Oklahoma
    2010 Chevrorlet Silverado LT Ext Cab 2wd
    - Volant CAI, Westin Steps, WeatherTech Vent Shades, Bug Shield, and Mud Flaps, Bullet Liner, Slimline Truck Cover
    2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP

looks great!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

You could always take one down to the hardware store and find a matching stainless hex head screw of the same length and thread. That way you could easily tighten them with a box end wrench (especially a ratcheting box end, which everybody should own a set of!). If you don't want to replace them all, just replace the 2 that are out of view. You would be less likely to strip them out also, unlike trying to get at them at an angle with a screwdriver.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan