GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default front differential leaking!!

Hey guys!

I have a 98 Burb, K1500. Fron diff is leaking from what appears to be the front driver's side.

Quoted 4 hours labour and $30 for a seal.

Can't afford the down time or the bill at the moment. I assume the diff is dry as I'm getting a groaning noise from the front. (even with 4x4 off)

First off, any tips to do this myself??

Second, to keep from killing the diff, can I top off more gear oil from the breather tube?? Getting under there to add oil every time can be a pain!

Thanks!
    Eric

I'd get gear oil into the diff ASAP. I don't know if dumping it in the breather hole would be a good idea or not. I'd just pull the fill plug and fill it that way. That way you can also keep track of the exact level of the oil in the diff. The seal will probably take you an hour or two to replace, it only took like 30-45 mins per seal for my rear axle, but I didnt have to bother with CV shafts and the like either.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

you might have bigger issues if the front is making noise now. the vent is a small line and i would use the fill plug. you might be lucky and have a small leak and it might take a few days to drain enough to need refilling, but if you do nothing you might need to spend way more than the down time now. again you might have destroyed the front gears already----no telling how long it went with out oil. they do not normally make noise without being starved fr oil for a long time....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well