GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default At-home transmission flush for 2006 Chev 1500 short crew--am I whacked?

I have a 2006 Chev 1500 4x4 short crew with a 5.3 flex fuel requiring a complete tranny service. I'll be dropping the pan and replacing the filter--but I would like to flush the tranny. I believe the at-home plan is to carefully disconnect the tranny cooler feed and return lines, blow them out with about 2psi of compressed air to remove the fluid in the tranny cooling system, drop the pan, remove/replace the filter, reinstall the pan, fill with Dexron VI. Then--the plan is to reconnect the feed line to the cooler and attach a short hose to the return line and have it directed into a bucket so that my attractive helper (GF) can tell me when the fluid comes out "clean" after I start the vehicle and continuously add fluid.

Question: I've not found where anyone has actually done this, so am I whacked, or what? I can't find any holes in the logic, but am asking just in case anyone else has a pearl of wisdom to share.

Thanks,

Will

I'm not sure you can add enough fluid down the filler pipe to keep up with the fluid being pumped out.

Excellent point. Probably should add a 3rd person to man the ignition switch in case things start pumping a little too quickly. I'm wondering how high the PSI will be on the outflow--and if my GF is going to get totally splashed with Dexron VI while she watches for clean fluid.

You're on the right track, I've done this several times. Blowing out the cooler line is an interesting idea, but certainly not critical. There is not much fluid in there compared to the total transmission capacity. There is more in the valves/servos/accumulators that you can't get out.

The flow out of the line is fairly slow, will probably take 20-30 seconds to fill a gallon bucket. What I do is this - drop pan, new filter, pan back on, etc. Dump in 8-10 quarts of clean fluid. Disconnect the cooler line, aim for the bucket. Start the engine, shut it off after you pump out a gallon or so of the old stuff. Add another gallon of fresh to the trans. Start back up and run till you see clean fluid. Shut off, reconnect the lines, restart, check fluid level.

If you're springing for Dex6, might as well cough up another buck or so per quart and get the Mobil 1 ATF. It's as good as any ATF you can get.

Since you'll be under the truck working on the trans, this is a great time to service the transfer case. They are often overlooked until it is too late. If you have Auto4wd, you need to use the blue GM AutoTrac II fluid. Otherwise, the Mobil 1 ATF is the best choice.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Run a transmission flush for 200km(120 miles) or whatever the instructions say to help clean the internals from grime. While you're down there you could think of putting a corvette servo in your transmission, it's not just for toys but also is good for the transmission.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

I wouldn't bother with any trans flush additives. ATF is extremely detergent, so it should be very clean in there if the current fluid even resembles the color red. If the fluid is real nasty, the new ATF will give it a very gently cleaning. That will reduce the chance of doing any damage, just change it again in a couple months.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did the maintenance on the front and rear differentials and the transfer case with the last oil change. $168 worth of synthetic gear lube, diff gasket and blue goo. Looking forward to the tranny project.

Question: Do you think I'll be good with a case (12 quarts) of fluid for the tranny flush? Amazing how fast things add up--$68 for the pan gasket and filter from the local Chevy dealer and around $100 for tranny fluid. Does beat buying a new slush box, though.

Might want to grab another 4 quarts, just in case. You could always return it if you don't use it.