GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear passenger door electric door lock wont actavate?

I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban and for some reason the rear passenger electric door lock stopped working. I can opperate it manualy but it wont work using any switch. This went out when the Suburban was about two years old, and I now have some time to work on it. Can you tell me how to remove the door pannel? And if I need any special tools to do this? Maybe if I can see it I can see why it stopped working? Any tips? Bob

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by caddiac View Post
    What door do you have on the back of your burb Bob? I have the barn doors and I am not sure when they stopped offering them. Any way, with most of the door panels there will be the occasional screw but then there are the plastic inserts that you have to pry out using a wide blade tool that is slim and rigid. The barn doors do not have any screws. If you tell me the door style I will look up what has to be done to pull the door lock. My manuals are for a 98 but it should be close enough.
    ^^ correct. You may already know this, but it's probably just an actuator. These go out like crazy (2 of them on my 08 Silverado in just 2 years) but are fairly easy to replace.
    2010 Dodge Charger R/T | Tint, aFe CAI, Flowmasters w/ reso del
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ | MB Wheels, JL Audio Stealthbox/Amp

Im a gm tech, I agree, its most likely the actuator, I have replaced at least 100 of these since the new body style came out......

Smile Rear passenger door electric door lock wont actavate?

Hi, and Thank you for replying to my question. The door with the problem is not the back door, it's the rear passenger door (just behind the front seat). So the actuator is weak on these huh, ok I should be able to change that out. And like you stated earlier I need to get a set of those plastic trim tools to remove the door panel is that true with all the doors on the 2004 Suburban? Thanks again, Bob