GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is a new CAI worth it for a daily driver?

Morning all -

I've searched around and just read Jenna's sticky on the difference in closed and open. Great info.

Some of the threads concentrate on HP though. Not really interested in that on the 'burb...need ways to improve MPG. My wife and I now now drive to work together. We take her suburban now cause my '86 needs a few window and door gaskets replaced to quiet it down It's 70 miles (interstate) round trip everyday. Fuel economy is still good, I think, but I know there's things I can do to bump it up even more.

The 'burb is a 2004 1/2 ton. Everything is stock. From reading everything, I know I'll need to upgrade the exhaust, but for right now, I'm just looking at the CAI. Will it be worth it to just do that or should I wait till I'm ready to tackle the exhaust as well?

Also, will it really be necessary to reprogram anything?

Thanks for the info ya'll!!!
    TNT - Texas

First - '68 longbed (lady runs stop sign, insurance gives me a check)
    Then - '81 SWB (stupid stupid stupid...sold it thinking I was going to get something else)
    Now - Finally got my '86 (350, Holley 600, 700r4)

If your looking for more mpg's than start with the exhaust. Some people report a loss in mpg's with a CAI. Now this could be from people playing with the extra power and throttle response a CAI gives you. I've read other tuners opinions on CAI's and one said and I think this makes sense, the more air in the more fuel used. I would also switch ALL the fluids, oil, transmission, f&r axle gear lube to synthetics. You have to change all the fluids to see a real mpg increase, not just the engine oil. After these mods I'd go with a Diablo Preditor programmer. The Diablo lets you adjust your LongTermFuelTrims (LTFT's). This will also help mpg's. Exhaust brand is a personal thing, depends on what you like. I've used Mobil1 synthetics for years in all my trucks. MarylandSpeed.com has the best price I've seen on the Diablo Preitor, $279.000 shipped.

Also, an easy way to increase MPG is to make sure your tires are properly inflated to the correct PSI, and also remove any unnecessary weight from the vehicle. Every little bit helps!
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Next time you replace your paper air filter, replace it with a drop in K&N filter. As stated above, air pressure in tires is a good one.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

I went with a CAI and it was a waste of money, it didn't make any difference. It made the drone a lot louder and that was about it.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I saw about maybe taking out the 3rd seat and such if we don't use it that much...and the tire pressure and such.

That's what got me on the CAI, was I was going to ditch the FRAM and go with a K&N. Just seemed like alot of extra $$...But as I was thinking of just the air filter, I got curious about a CAI.
    TNT - Texas

First - '68 longbed (lady runs stop sign, insurance gives me a check)
    Then - '81 SWB (stupid stupid stupid...sold it thinking I was going to get something else)
    Now - Finally got my '86 (350, Holley 600, 700r4)

There are cheaper filters than the K&N, I bought an Airaid and also have a K&N and other than color you can't tell the difference.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!