GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ride and Shocks Question

I have a 2008 GMX 4x4. I am at about 65k miles and I had my 5.5" RC lift and installed at 30k miles and I run 35x12.5x18 Pro-Comp Xtreme AT's. My ride had always suffered and I am chopping the tires something fierce(fronts only) even though I have had multiple alignments and wheel balancing. I have a pretty aggressive rear end hop at 44-48MPH as well as some styeering wheel shake at various speeds. The last time I had a balance done the guys said I may need to replace my front shocks because they are the original Ranchos and my kit only replaced the rears with RC heavy duty shock and this should fix the steering wheel shake at tire chopping. I am going to need tires here soon and I want to fix the ride as well so the next set of tires last longer and the ride is smoothed out a bit. I understand you lose some of the ride integrity with a lift but I want to get rid of the hop and make sure the tire wear is better and much more even. I plan on going to a slightly less agressive tire as well. Does this sound like a shock issue and if so what do you guys suggest? At the money I have in the truck I want to get it right...please help
    A man must believe in something...I beliveve I'll have another!

08' GMC 1500 All Terrain Z-71 4x4 GMC Performance Exhaust and Air Intake, 5" Rough Country Suspension Lift, 2" RC Leveling Kit, RC 1 1/2" wheel spacers on back end with 325/65/18 Toyo Open Country AT's, Line-X over the rail spray in Bed-liner, Go-Rhino Steps, under-the-tailgate tail light strip...and counting!!

09' Cadillac CTS-V OMG Fast 550+/- HP 6.2l Supercharged V-8...not your GrandDaddy's Caddy:happy:

I'm no "Expert" or anything like that but if you are combining a 5" suspension lift with a front 2" leveling kit (not sure if your spec info means 2" front or rear leveling), your suspension geometry will not be right even with front end realignment.
    Bobby

Current Motorvation:
    2011 GMC 1500 4x4 crew / 5.3, 6spd, 342 rears, g80 locker, bone stock
    2000 Chevy Silverado Excab / 5.3, 373 rears, g80 locker, 93 oct perf. tune
    2011 GMC Acadia Denali wifes ride

I think it is the Kit that is the major issue. The 2" level on top of the lift can't be helping with the ride or the tires.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Blog Entries

I agree with the others...I have never heard that a leveling kit can be used in conjunction with a suspension lift.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

So if I take out the leveling kit can I get the Bilstein 5100's to take it back up an inch or so? The probelm is that he shop that did my original lift had me get the 5.5" lift and 35's was wrong I have a slight rub without the leveling kit.

08' GMC 1500 All Terrain Z-71 4x4 GMC Performance Exhaust and Air Intake, 5" Rough Country Suspension Lift, 2" RC Leveling Kit, RC 1 1/2" wheel spacers on back end with 325/65/18 Toyo Open Country AT's, Line-X over the rail spray in Bed-liner, Go-Rhino Steps, under-the-tailgate tail light strip...and counting!!

09' Cadillac CTS-V OMG Fast 550+/- HP 6.2l Supercharged V-8...not your GrandDaddy's Caddy:happy:

If you are set on running 35's when you get new rubber I would say look into a 1.5" BL and just not run a level kit. The BL will not hurt the rid or any of your angles. If you would want to run a slightly smaller tire Just run the lift kit.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I agree here,look into a body lift plus your lift kit and forget about the leveling shocks or kit
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Have you ever had the tires checked to see if the true (round), ProComps are known for being out-of-round.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Have you ever had the tires checked to see if the true (round), ProComps are known for being out-of-round.
    No I have not and I was wondering if that is what is causing the wheel hop. I did both stages of the lift seperate and I have always had wheel hop at 44-48MPH
    I figured this was something they would tell me while balancing the tires, is that not the way it works?

Its up to the person mounting the tires to check if the tires are true. It depends some installer don't care, maybe they found the tire bad and didn't have another one or didn't want to deal with returning the bad tire. You have good shops that care and bad shops that just want the money. How much weight did they have to use to balance the tire?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast