GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation gmc engine problems

Hey guys, I need some tech help.
    I drive a 2004 GMC Yukon with 60k miles on it. I was on my way home the other night and all my warning lights came on and then my truck died. I had it towed to the dealer and they said that I had busted my engine block. Also the guy at the dealer said when they pulled my engine apart that there was water in it and thats why it busted. It is impossible because I have not been through any water. Has anybody herd of this?

Legend

That's kind of a generic way of describing your engine went bad. To me if your engine block broke, then you're likely to have water in the block just from the coolant system.

It doesn't seem reasonable that your block would have broken unless it went through a freeze with water only in the coolant system, or catastrophic component failure such as a blown rod, or piston which would destroy the block, and also introduce water/coolant into the system.
    I would tell them they need to come up with a better explanation of how exactly the block broke, before you agree, or commit to anything being done.

Sounds like they're trying to set you up to have to pay to have the engine replaced.

What engine is this?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

If there was a crack at 60000 miles thats BS that its your fault. I feel the same as Traileadr. There trying to pass blame. Time to loose it Texas style, Whoop some dealership butt. That block cracked from bad casting from day 1. I would move on to a different dealership. Check out our dealership section I thought I seen someone write something nice about a Texas dealer.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Get your Butt back to that stealership before they do anything. If they start pulling the engine apart or pulling the engine you are going to be paying threw the nose, and then some.

Tell them you want to see what broke. And how they came up with that piss poor diagnosis. Some dealers are good and some are just out for the money.

The mechanics also get a commission on the work they bring in.

Beware of this dealer, be very wary of them. Before they do anything to the truck tell them you want to see the part that broke and how they came up with that piss poor diagnosis.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Just to prove my point,

When I worked at the GM factory my mother had a friend that just bought a brand new ford, forget the model.

It had been back several times for excessive oil consumption with under 5,000 miles on it.

My Mom asked me to go see what the service manager was pulling on the poor girl. The dealership was on my way home so I told her I would meet her at the place.

When I did the dealers service manager tried to tell her, I was standing right next to her, that it wasn’t unusual for new car to burn a little oil during the break in period.

This girl had gone threw 5 quarts of oil in less than one month.

Now there were a lot of people there waiting to pick up there cars as we were in the service bay.

I said I worked for GM and that no car made by any manufacturer should use 5 quarts of oil the way this one did during a brake in or any other time.

The engine has a problem and they need to fix it as it is still under warranty.

What they were hoping for was that she would just keep adding oil until the engine went, then they could say it was her fault.

She got a new motor.

Red face Thanks

Thanks guys for all your help. After all I bought a "new" engine from gm and a new starter, and replaced both 02 sencers. Long story short we paid the dearler $9k for all parts and labor. About 2 days later after we got the truck back the brakes failed and I lost the power steering. So once again I took it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it. Later that week I sold my truck to carmax and got $12k for it. So now im looking for another suv I haven't made up my mind yet about what I wanted. Any thoughts about what should I get?

Angry Reduced Engine Power

I drive a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and "Reduce Engine Power" came across my screen for the first time yesterday morning. So I caught the bus to work when I got home I started the truck up and it did not return I rushed the truck to have the oil changed and all the fluids changed or topped off and when I left the truck was running just fine, but again this morning same message "Reduce Engine Power" I allowed the truck to run for about 6-7 minutes and noticed that the truck was idling to about 3 and would drop back down to the line between 0-1 and it continued for about another 4 minutes and I turned the truck off and started and the message was gone again...Please help me