GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default camber/caster adjustment bolt replacement on 85 sierra

has anyone done these before? i need to replace the two bolts that pinch the shims between the frame and upper control arm. mine have loosened up on me twice and this time i cant tighten them anymore with out feeling like they are stripping. can definitely hear a clunk coming from that corner so i know they are loose. any help would be great.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes, they are pretty easy, just do one at a time & retain the shims in the proper place so your alignment doesn't change.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

can you give me a little better detail on how to do them? im going to have to get new shims, i know iv lost some. i can do the alignment myself so thats no biggy.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend
    Blog Entries

Can't think of much more to tell you. It's pretty simple. I would replace the loose one first so the tight one will hold the bar from moving. If you're not buying the GM bolts, then be sure & buy grade 8 hardened bolts so they don't strip again. Also if not buying the GM bolts, then make sure you get them long enough, because I've seen as much as 5/8" worth of shims in there to give them enough positive camber. Measure the total amount of shims you have left, & take a guess at how many fell out & buy extras for them.

i looked under today and i actually have studs. wtf?

Legend
    Blog Entries

lol, that makes it a little more difficult but still doable. If you can't get a good swing with the hammer to drive them out, try a long drift, or a steel rod. Do they use salt on the roads in Maine? If there's a lot of rust, spray them with some WD-40 for a couple days & it might go easier.